Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed

Go down 
+8
TED
mc
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Perdu
G, F#, E
homesickjameswilliamson
stooges
ElRoi
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Empty
PostSubject: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 8:57 pm

The full size version of Shepard Fairey mini print that's included in Raw Power deluxe box set
18 x 24″ Screen Print, Signed by Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu (photographer), Edition of 650

On sale now at:
http://obeygiant.com/store/home.php?cat=1
http://obeygiant.com/prints/raw-power

Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Stoogesiggyjamesposter3

Last edited by ElRoi on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 pm

great poster!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 pm

thanks for posting

are these replicas or are they custom for the deluxe box?

HJW
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Yeah, I just happened to be viewing the promo video for the Raw Power deluxe box set yesterday:

http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/iggy-and-the-stooges/pages/5458056?utm_medium=legacy-website&utm_source=iggyandthestoogesmusic&u

and noticed that one of the 5 mini prints that are included was done by Shepard Fairey. So, I went to his website to see if there was any info about it. It just so happened that he had just posted the release date of today for a full size version. Already ordered mine.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
thanks for posting

are these replicas or are they custom for the deluxe box?

HJW

Shepard was commissioned to do the art from one of Robert Matheu photos for the miniature version that's included the box set. This one is a 18 x 24 inch Silk Screen Print of the same artwork in an edition of 650 that's sign by both him and Robert.

From Shepard's site:

I have been a fan of Iggy and The Stooges since the mid eighties. I discovered the Stooges after hearing The Sex Pistol’s cover of their song “No Fun” from The Stooges first album. I also loved the Iggy Pop solo song “Repo Man”, the title track from the movie Repo Man directed by Alex Cox in 1984. Coincidentally, former Sex Pistol Steve Jones contributed lead guitar to the track. The more I learned about Iggy, his music with the Stooges, his solo material, and his collaborations with David Bowie and many others, the more I realized what a diverse talent and icon he is. During my days of listening to punk almost exclusively, all three Iggy and The Stooges albums were in heavy rotation, but the one I tended to skate to was Raw Power. Raw Power added guitarist James Williamson to the line-up and his leads made the Stooges sound even more aggressive. When the Stooges re-formed in 2003(I think) they only performed material from their first two albums because return member and original guitarist Ron Asheton did not play guitar on Raw Power. Don’t get me wrong, the first two Stooges records are great, but I always wanted to hear material from Raw Power. Sadly, Ron Asheton died last year. This tragedy however seems to have brought Iggy and James Williamson back together. Their reunion has resulted in a Raw Power tour. In a ridiculously fortuitous convergence for me, I was in touch with Iggy about doing a portrait of him for my show at Deitch Projects, and I also worked with photographer Robert Matheu on the Billy Idol greatest hits album “Idolize Yourself”. Anyway, Robert was working on the deluxe re-issue of Raw Power, as well as a book on the Stooges. Iggy, not knowing Robert and I already knew each other, asked Robert to send me the Stooges book. This exchange resulted in me being asked about designing a poster for the Raw Power deluxe package and the Raw Power tour. I could try to act cool about it, but honestly this is a dream come true for me. Thank you Iggy and Robert. My illustration is based on a photo of Iggy and James Williamson by Robert Matheu. The poster is signed by me and Robert. Buy Iggy And The Stooges “Raw Power” album right away if you don’t have it.
-Shepard
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Nothing like a photoshopped version of a common photo autographed by two people who had nothing to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 6:23 am

Actually, I think someone from a different generation like Fairey coming into the Stooges fold is nothing but a Good Thing!

If you don't know the significance of Fairey's art in general, google. albino
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 7:00 am

Perdu wrote:
Actually, I think someone from a different generation like Fairey coming into the Stooges fold is nothing but a Good Thing!

If you don't know the significance of Fairey's art in general, google. albino

I must concur.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:56 am

Man, you're really on the ball! I just got word of this myself from the rep @ Sony that I work with. I have posted it in the blog and crap. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Great article, thanks Rupert ........ I won't be buying his art.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 3:13 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Nothing like a photoshopped version of a common photo autographed by two people who had nothing to do with it.

LOL. Well said.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:20 pm

I was unaware of the accusations of plagiarism that have been leveled at Mr. Fairey, I just thought it was a nice Stooges print. There are so very few nice prints dedicated to the Stooges that are available, it's hard to be super picky.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?text=Iggy+and+the+Stooges&class=0

Last edited by ElRoi on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 10:30 pm

ElRoi wrote:
I was unaware of the accusations of plagiarism that have been leveled at Mr. Fairey, I just thought it was a nice Stooges print. There are so very few nice prints dedicated to the Stooges that are available, it's hard to be super picky.

http://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?text=Iggy+and+the+Stooges&class=0

True, and he was obviously commissioned to do this one.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 4:29 am

I worked as a volunteer on the Obama campaign mostly doing art work and some photography for them. There was contraversy about the "Hope" poster that Fairley did but in the end it was used and everybody liked it.

My issue with this poster is:

If it is a Stooges poster, why are only Iggy and James present? Conspicuous in their absence, Mr. Scott Asheton, Mr Ron Asheton both original Stooges. If this is a representation of the Raw Power band, Scotty Thurston needs to be there also.

You can accuse me of moaning, I don't care! Iggy is not the only Stooge and it would be nice if all the guys got more recognition!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 5:57 am

Nat, I agree completely. However, as with most other bands throughout the history of popular music the lead singer is usually the focal point. Unfortunately, considering the lack of popularity that the Stooges suffered from in the original years, it is quite possible that without Iggy's solo career over the last 30+ years the Stooges as a whole would possibly have faded into history long ago. I'm not trying to diminish the quality of the music the Stooges as a band created or the contributions thereof of any of the other guys in the band. Ron's and Scott's post Stooges work is quite significant, but both of their careers were relatively short lived. Consider all of the good bands that have came and gone throughout the years with hardly a trace of their ever having exsisted because once they disbanded none of the members ever did anything after.
Back to top Go down
tompa67

tompa67

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 7:07 am

agreed Nat.
Iggy himself have said : `Whe are a band` so...
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 am

Elroi,

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I totally agree that the singer is focal point of most bands. What I can't agree with is that Iggy's solo career is the main reason why the Stooges reformed.

First, it was MKO that brought the Stooges music and history to the forefront. Iggy's connection with Bowie certainly helped. I admit to not following Iggy's solo efforts closely over the years but I did attend gigs sporadically from 77 through 92. He telephoned me a few times when in Philly and I met up with twice over the years. So where I am not familiar with everything he did during that time, I think I know enough to say this. Any time I saw one of his solo gigs, the songs that got the biggest response were always Stooge songs. He toured all those years on his reputation as Iggy Pop of the Stooges.

None of his many backup bands had the power and grit that the Stooges had. Unfortunately, I did not see Iggy play with SRB. If I had, I may not be saying this, but whenever I saw him, it was the ghost of the Stooges' glory hanging over him.

I am very thankful the band reformed and very happy to be seeing them in a few weeks. I don't wish to diminish Iggy's solo career either, but I just wanted to put it in perspective. I am one of the few people posting here who saw all incarnations of the Stooges as well as most all of his solo bands. It is my just my humble opinion.

Getting back on topic, I still want to moan again about this poster not being a representation of all the Raw Power Stooges. Raw power, the record had 4 Stooges and Raw Power, the tour had 5. I just wish they were all represented!

Natalie
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:31 am

Actually, we will have to agree to agree. I agree with everything you have posted. There is no doubt about the significance of the overall influence that the Stooges had on music and it is truely unfortunate that they are seldom all equally recognized for that contribution. I was only pointing out that Iggy managed to keep the Stooges in the public's collective mind over the years. Not necessarily as a better solo artist than as a Stooge, but somewhat as a personality.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:15 am

Yeah, the singer and lead guitarist usually get the spotlight. Plus, James and Iggy did write all of the 'Raw Power' tunes...
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am

I think it´s ok with artposters if they are relevant. This was made for the Raw Power box set, so I think it´s relevant.

But fake concertposters made just for making money I hate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IGGY-AND-THE-STOOGES-AGORA-BALLROOM-1973-CONCERT-POSTER_W0QQitemZ270561712378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efebc18fa
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 12:00 pm

iggy-fan wrote:
I think it´s ok with artposters if they are relevant. This was made for the Raw Power box set, so I think it´s relevant.

But fake concertposters made just for making money I hate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/IGGY-AND-THE-STOOGES-AGORA-BALLROOM-1973-CONCERT-POSTER_W0QQitemZ270561712378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efebc18fa

I couldn't agree more. I collect concert posters and I can say without hesitation that the link you posted is for an absolute piece of crap. The seller is trying to pass off what is obviously a resently produced piece of crap as an original 1973 Stooges concert poster.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:38 pm

One more comment:

If anybody believes that Pop/Williamson were the only ones that "wrote" the Raw Power songs, I guess you also believe that Iggy Pop was the only one who wrote all the lyrics and all the music on the "You Want My Action" 71 set!!!!

Last comment on the poster:

[b]ALL THE RAW POWER STOOGES SHOULD BE ON THAT POSTER!!!!

Last edited by Natalie on Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Are there that many full band photos of good quality, i cant remember any, its usually individual

actually some of the mick rock ones wouldve been good, there were full band ones there aswell

what are the other prints like, maybe theres some of the full band?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed   Shepard Fairey and Robert  Matheu signed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shepard Fairey and Robert Matheu signed
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next