Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How did you start listening to the Stooges?

Go down 
+17
951Sib
nick
PineappleExpress
Chazz Avery
Pop Stüge
Nadja
sweet_sixteen
freemind
MJG196
Hunslet Iggy
mc
Perdu
rabid_fish
Mr. FunBoy
studioguy
Hectorlovesthestooges
stooges
21 posters
AuthorMessage
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

How did you start listening to the Stooges? Empty
PostSubject: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:00 am

stupid question but I am interested in how you started to listen to the Stooges Very Happy Very Happy

my story:

I was looking for information about the band The Ramones (At that time my favorite band) and there was the Ramones were influenced by the Stooges, NY Dolls, MC5, etc. .. and I embarked on youtube Stooges the first song that I started was NO FUN! second I think I Want to Be Your Dog

and then I started listening to the Stooges Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:44 am

I began listening to The Stooges because of this picture:

How did you start listening to the Stooges? Pjq0er10

I saw it and I thought: hey...they look great!!

I heard about them before but I never listened to them till that day...I read an article saying that Funhouse is one of the best albums ever, so I had a big curiosity...
I read stories about Iggy Pop doing those crazy things...

I began downloading some songs as "i wanna be your dog", "search & destroy", "tv eye" and now you can guess the rest of the story Smile
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:03 am

In 1977 a good friend of mine gave me a "Best of Bomp" lp with "I Gotta Right" and "Gimme Some Skin" on it. The next day I bought Raw Power and Metallic KO, both as cut-outs for a $1 each.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:07 am

I started to listen to The Stooges because I was watching
End of the Century: The Story Of The Ramones
and I saw some footage of the Stooges and the song Down On The Street

and then The Stooges changed my life X)
Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 4:28 am

i saw the "100 greatest hard rock songs ever" on vh1 and search and destroy was on it... i liked the song and i found the footages wierd and cool so i downloaded raw power, loved it and then i watched the legendary footage of the stooges playing in the cincinnati pop festival and i remember i didn't liked it at all... i found it kind of raw and destructive, so i downloaded the funhouse record and it blew my fuckin mind!!!!! then i watched the video again and loved it... since then i love the fuckin stooges!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 pm

I've been asked this before since I was there for it practically from the beginning, and it certainly wasn't considered "chick music." In 1970, I was trying to interest my college roommate in various activities available around our new-to-her city so we wouldn't just be relegated to sitting in the dorm room all night getting loaded. We both loved music, so I hauled her to an off campus course on rock music conducted by a famous rock writer, a recent alumnus of our university already successful. He liked the fact that I wore a silver Lurex shirt (rather iconoclastic for that era of denim and paisley chiffons.) Later, friendship ensued.

That first night of the course he played his recent favorites, most all of which were unknown or unavailable to late 60s/early 70s American music fans, like The Move or as yet unreleased Who. Then he played "No Fun." I had an inarticulate response mirroring same in the song, but something inside was stirred. (Everyone else in the class hated it.)

People nowadays forget that pre-internet dissemination of info was prone to delay, and the one Stooges gig in my berg so far from the Midwest had come and gone without my knowledge prior to that class. But thank to this introduction, my interest permanently was piqued. Later when all the frenzy, chaos and subversion innate to this enclave was ramped up beyond all measures known in the universe with "Raw Power" and Williamson's unique for the era and for alltime blast furnace virtuosity, you betcha I was there for a local 1973 Iggy and the Stooges' live offering!
How did you start listening to the Stooges? 687324
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 8:28 pm

I think it was 1988, I was 16, my friend Ed Parker introduced me to the Revenge double pink vinyl Live at the Whisky 16/9/1973. I'd never heard anything like it, and still haven't heard much that comes close.
Back to top Go down
Hunslet Iggy

Hunslet Iggy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 5:55 pm

First started a liking for Iggy at the time of the Idiot and Lust for life albums. This came mainly through being a big Bowie fan at the time, that was the connection. I then bought The Idiot, Lust for Life, then Raw Power the ultimate album. That was it ,no turning back Bowie dropped by me. Iggy & The Stooges The Number 1.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 9:09 pm

It just seemed like a natural progression from the Velvet Underground for me.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 pm

MJG196 wrote:
It just seemed like a natural progression from the Velvet Underground for me.

ouah like me Very Happy

But at the begining it was first jimi hendrix, velvet then right after the stooges
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Believe it or not but I first started listening to Stooges after seeing the video to "Kick It" by Peaches featuring Iggy. Peaches mentions Search and Destroy in the lyrics so I looked up the song and it just grew into a full blown obsession from there. Since then I expanded my craze to the MC5 and the Velvet Underground.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:32 am

Caught a safe, solid, BBC radio documentary about 'the history of American punk', several years ago now. My ignorance was vast, I was only just getting into punk, I'd heard of Iggy and the Stooges only vaguely, and never actually listened to them, and then '1969' suddenly started playing. Never looked back.

Actually, that remains the only time I ever heard '1969' playing on the radio.
Back to top Go down
Pop Stüge

Pop Stüge

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 12:45 am

Can't remember the specifics, but know it was 1975 and I was in 16. Heard Raw Power at a friend's house and I instantly became a fan. What was great was that in 1975, you could go to Record Bar (chain store in the 70's) and buy the first Stooges album for 79 cents out of the bargain bin! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 21, 2010 7:53 am

Throughout the end of 1969 to early 1970, my best friends and I read about The Stooges and the antics of their frontman, Iggy, in Creem, Circus, Rolling Stone and Crawdaddy and was quite interested in what I read. The 1970 Rolling Stone review for Funhouse finally did it for me. My mother went shopping shopping in Toledo one weekend and I asked her to get it for me. To this day, I can still see her walking into the house with it under her arm. There was no turning back after that. Subsequently, all my friends bought the album, too.

This is the exact album my mother carried in that day. It's now under glass in a frame on my office wall.
How did you start listening to the Stooges? Funhouse

This is a shot I took of my best friend in January 1971 with his copy of Funhouse...
How did you start listening to the Stooges? Baker
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 12:59 am

When I was around 4 or 5 my dad would ask me to put on some music so I put on Lust for Life, I thought it sounded really cool. I later forgot about the album for 10 years but I rediscovered Iggy and the Stooges when I was 15.

Haha I think I was the youngest person here to like Iggy!
Back to top Go down
nick

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm

devo listed the stooges as their favorite band as teenagers so i finally decided to check them out.
i had already gone through a velvets and bowie stage too, and had search and destroy from the life aquatic soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
951Sib

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-12-28

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 02, 2011 9:12 pm

In 2001, I read a review of "Raw Power" by the french rock critic Nicolas Ungemuth.
The review was so convincing I decided to buy it straight away, and I never regret it.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 pm

1975, and the writings of Nick Kent - I was very impressed with the notion of romantic nihilism. I heard the first album on a mono deck in an art student's bedsit and then I had to travel to find a place that stocked the records as they were being re-issued with the punk thing beginning to take hold. Metallic KO was the one that really did it for me.
Back to top Go down
Ilsa

Ilsa

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-20

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 3:34 am

I was a huge David Bowie fan growing up, and I bought Iggy's "Lust for Life" album for that reason alone. I loved it, and immediately went out and bought "Fun House," which I loved even more. Now, I'm a bigger fan of Iggy and The Stooges than I am of Bowie.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey Ilsa that's cool, and look which of them is still rocking after all these years!!
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 pm

When I was 17 my boyfriend played Raw Power LP in his mom and dad's basement for me.
Back to top Go down
Ungangos

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-07-05

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 7:20 am

I was reading "AC/DC Maximum Rock n' Roll" and I saw a picture of Bon Scott with Iggy Pop, who was covered in body paint. I thought he looked pretty out there and didn't really pay much attention to it. But then I saw the name Iggy Pop in an Uncut magazine and I read all about his band the Stooges. I went to Youtube and typed their name in, and the song 1969 popped up. I'll never forget it. I was fascinated with the whole thing. I have a worn out copy of their first album on my shelf along with a beat up CD copy of Funhouse. Classic in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you start listening to the Stooges?   How did you start listening to the Stooges? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How did you start listening to the Stooges?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: