Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ready to die album stream

Go down 
+24
popmansam
heypeter
Loose1969
Luzern
berlinberlin
neven
Lucas
WE WILL FALL
StoogesFan
heavy liquid
trailerborn
StoogeFan
Pop Stüge
homesickjameswilliamson
iggy-fan
Nadja
freemind
studioguy
stooges
loranpop
ChuckN
stubellis
gazatthebop
Borntohula
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Quote :
According to Wikipedia there is a bonus track on the Australian version of this album: "Dying Breed".

Anyone know anything about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_to_Die_(album)

I guess it will be available here : http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Breed/dp/B00CF0VM96
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Had a second playthrough on a better system and it sounds great, really enjoy it, mostly enjoying the more uptempo or 'fun' ones like sex and money and DDs; plus who else could get away with the line 'nipples come and nipples go'

The albums really solid, there isnt a bad song or skippable song on it to me and the production is great
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 9:39 pm

Seeing that a few others have given their opinion on the new album, I suppose it is time for me to add my tuppence-worth. I have 'reviewed' and rated each track separately (and remember this is only my opinion. Others will have different views). Okay, here we go:

BURN: An excellent opening track. Great riff from James. At first this did not seem to have the classic 'Stooges' feel to it, but after a few listens I can imagine how this could have been written in '75 if the band had stuck together. 8/10.

SEX & MONEY: A decent enough song, with Steve McKay contributing some excellent sax lines. The backing vocals are also interesting. 7/10.

JOB: This is more like it! A classic 'Stooge' riff from James (obviously influenced by 'Loose', but that can only be a good thing). Iggy's vocals are double-tracked, which sounds a little strange on first listen. But after the second listen you can't imagine it any other way! 9/10.

GUN: Another excellent riff from James. This one is heavily influenced by 'Hard to Beat', but as that is one of the best tracks on Raw Power I think it adds a lot to the song. 9/10.

UNFRIENDLY WORLD: This is where it all goes wrong for me. It seems as if the band are trying to follow the Raw Power tradition of having a ballad on each side (remember this was before CD). The problem with that approach is that any attempt at such a ballad will ultimately pale beside 'Gimme Danger'. This one does nothing for me. 5/10.

READY TO DIE: A straight-ahead rock song. Not much can be said about this one, except that it has some great guitar work from James (but don't they all??) 8/10.

DD's: There has been some comment about the peurile nature of the lyrics, but this is supposed to be a fun song and it delivers on that point. The guitar riff on the chorus is especially worthy of mention. 8/10.

DIRTY DEAL: More high-energy stuff, with Iggy's lyrics serving as a warning to not sign contracts that you don't understand. And yet another classic riff from James. 8/10.

BEAT THAT GUY: The second 'ballad' of the album, although more up-tempo than Unfriendly World. Unfortunately this does not do much for me even after repeated listens, although it is redeemed in part by the excellent guitar solo from James. 6/10.

THE DEPARTED: The third Ballad of the album! Something up-tempo would have ended the album on a high, and this track has the effect of bringing things down. Still, this was obviously recorded with Ron in mind and it gets bonus points on that score. 7/10 (in Ron's memory).

In summary, it is overall an excellent album and well worth the purchase. The production is crisp and strong. Personally I wish a couple of old songs (Wet My Bed, Cock in my Pocket, Open Up and Bleed) had been included for reasons of continuity, but hopefully the band will get around to recording these at a later date.

Any other 'reviews' would be welcome..............

Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm

'Dying Breed' is quite good too (sounds like a rolling stones's tune).

Now I'm just wondering if there any outtakes. :p
Back to top Go down
WE WILL FALL

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:37 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:

The albums really solid, there isnt a bad song or skippable song on it to me and the production is great

I agree.

I wonder how many people didn't pre-order after The Weirdness.

It would be good if another non-festival UK date can happen .
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am

Festivals are a plague. Dutch clubcircuit is threatened in it's excistence because more and more festivals are organised. A sad development.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 pm

Lucas wrote:
Festivals are a plague. Dutch clubcircuit is threatened in it's excistence because more and more festivals are organised. A sad development.

No dutch dates yet,lokeren a belgium festival is the nearest
Back to top Go down
Lucas

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:06 am

The Stooges almost never play in Holland except festivals. I saw them in Watt in Rotterdam, which was great, because it's a very small venue.
A well, Europe isn't that big, we saw the Stooges in London and Paris a few times.

Shops were closed yesterday because of our new King. So let's see if the record is available today!
Back to top Go down
berlinberlin

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 11:13 am

Great album, just now listening to it for the first time. love it!
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Lucas wrote:
The Stooges almost never play in Holland except festivals. I saw them in Watt in Rotterdam, which was great, because it's a very small venue.
A well, Europe isn't that big, we saw the Stooges in London and Paris a few times.

Shops were closed yesterday because of our new King. So let's see if the record is available today!

Hey,also saw the stooges in Watt,london few times and paris too.Toevallig.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 01, 2013 8:03 pm

As a fan of The Stooges you have to do what you have to do! ;-)

Paris and Londen are great cities for a trip anyway.
This summer (because we refuse to go to festivals, well almost) we made our own festival combined with citytrips.
Night Beats - De nieuwe Anita Amsterdam
Arctic Monkeys - best kept secret (well, it's a festival)
Queens of the Stone Age - July 2nd in Vienna
Black Angels - July 3d Berlin
Iggy & The Stooges - July 10th in Milan

We hope to add more (Iggy & the Stooges at Lokerse feesten is a possibility)

But all this of course is very off topic.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Just got the CD today, sounds better than the stream obviously, the production really stands out listening to it proper, great album, listened to it through a few times in a row

also listened to the weirdness (the complete 16 song version) before the new album and i have to say, i liked the weirdness when it came out but that album really holds up, for me at least, i just thought i'd listen to it again because its named checked in a couple of reviews for ready to die as a reference for how they've fucked it up before - with a "so at least its better than that'' implication, but i really like the weirdness

i think both albums are made better by each guitarists stamp, the heart of each album is the guitar playing and how scott works with each, i think the atmosphere on weirdness is really enjoyable, maybe its the albini/three blind mice production but it sounds like you're listening in on the recording sessions in some basement, the contrast is interesting, ready to die sounding more professional by comparison and more concise

i also think the lyrics are better on the weirdness, they may be more stupid in some places than on the new album but when they're good i think they're better

both albums are great, and i'm just glad these guys are still producing music and still playing
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 1:46 am

Right now I cannot really evaluate the new record. I have not listened to it enough yet. I think "Burn" is the best song, though. It's as good as the best stuff this band recorded back in 1972-74. All in all I think I prefer the sound of "The Weirdness", because it has that monster sound of the Asheton brothers playing together in one room.

Furthermore I think it's a real pity that they did not record new studio versions of the great 1971 songs (that only exist in poor quality audience recordings).
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:44 am

Still evaluating it...though it is clearly better than The Weirdness by a large margin!
Somehow Ron's spirit is felt in the guitars, especially on Burn and Job. Very Ron-like riffs. But James somehow raises the bar! And he leaves his own distinct footprints on most of the tunes. Superb production by James, the best since Fun House sonically for sure.

Further review coming up in a couple of daze...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
heypeter

heypeter

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:17 am

I listen the album once, didn't liked a single thing.

Maybe if i listen to it more times I'll like it xP
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm

I love everything about the new album.Even ordered the vinyl copy.Its much better then I even hoped it would be. If you dont have it, get it. If you dont like it youre not a stooges fan.
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 11:48 pm

anybody knows wether " dying breed " will pop up as a bonus track somewhere , japanese cd for example ? mp3 and the stooges just don't go together in my world !
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 1:19 am

fabrice wrote:
anybody knows wether " dying breed " will pop up as a bonus track somewhere , japanese cd for example ? mp3 and the stooges just don't go together in my world !

Hopefully Dying Breed and the instrumental version of The Departed will show up on something

Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:48 pm

studioguy wrote:
fabrice wrote:

Hopefully Dying Breed and the instrumental version of The Departed will show up on something

Both tracks are included on the Japanese CD version of the album.

Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks, SF, thats great news, Im a lap steel player, would make it easier to learn.
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:12 pm

super ! just have to speak to the bank to afford it now !
Back to top Go down
neven

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

StoogesFan wrote:
studioguy wrote:
fabrice wrote:

Both tracks are included on the Japanese CD version of the album.

dying breed is also on the australian release
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:45 am

Dying Breed - musically it's terrific, loads of slide and a cracking Stones-y groove, but I'm not sure about Iggy's decision to croon the vocal, it doesn't seem to quite fit somehow.
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Iggys singing is much stronger on this than Weirdness.
For me Beat That Guy is the one song I keep going back to. Dunno why everyone is hung up on them re-recording the old tunes.
Thats a waste of time.
If they do that everyone on the forum will be saying that they arent as good as the originals!
The outcome may be better production but the trade off is these are guys in their 60's now not the wild young creatures of yore. They can't re-capture that spirit... fully.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Dying Breed gets played towards the end of hour "TWO!" on the Watt From Pedro Show this week. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ready to die album stream   Ready to die album stream - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ready to die album stream
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next