Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy planning new material

Go down 
+27
sway
Gimme some skin
totenkopf
mc
23rd Express
Lucas
Iguanas
Perdu
harmonia
Radish
TeddyB1018
boogie
Petrie Terrace
Aku
hank67
Nadja
studioguy
Radiobirdman73
Funhousehideaway#2
homesickjameswilliamson
Natalie
trailerborn
G, F#, E
Loose1969
the5thramone37
freemind
EmmaUK
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 4:43 pm

stooges without Ron?

I'm glad the new board but the original Stooges are gone,damn
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 pm

The original Stooges were gone in 1970...
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:41 pm

I highly doubt that. If he didn't have it in coin, I'm willing to bet he did in assets. He's owned several properties for a while. <His words, not mine.

And even IF he wasn't, by his own account he's never been without "resources" (i.e. Bowie/friends in the entertainment industry/etc).

In my mind hes been rich since he began receiving royalty checks for Bowie's version of China Girl.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Just a couple of points.

It was the promoters that billed them as Iggy and the Stooges, or even Iggy Pop at least once. When they played Fun House at Hammersmith it was only billed as the Stooges. This probably accounted for the slow ticket sales. People did not realise Iggy was playing or at least were not completely sure he was playing. Most people who go to see the Stooges do not visit this forum and so are not always as well nformed.

The Weirdness was a Stooges album, not Iggy and the Stooges. This decision probably cost them a lot of sales.

Also, I'm sure I read something about Ron phoning someone up when he became a millionaire. I can't remember where now.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Just a couple of great points too, Donald.
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:53 pm

Hectorlovesthestooges wrote:
The original Stooges were gone in 1970...
I thought it so that it is not without rona original Stooges
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Iggy said that Ron is irreplaceable, but that still exists Iggy and the Stooges, but why live in detoroit Iggy and the Stooges? at that time still at Ron el guitar

edit: corrected translation

Last edited by stooges on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

stooges wrote:
Iggy said that Ron is nanahraditelné

I bet those weren't Iggy's exact words Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Here is a very simple fact for you.

Time for this thread to be closed!

Enough !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Haha.

Didn't Ron call Niagara all the time about such things?

Also, I thought both The Weirdness and Skull Ring were great albums.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 7:29 pm

sway wrote:
Let's consider some simple facts.

Yes, let's, one of them is what happens when someone I don't know suggests I "shut my mouth"

sway wrote:
Iggy is NOT 22 anymore (oh my, and a boo hoo!). He's in his 60's. It's only natural that his vocals aren't going to scream bitter truths to displaced youngsters. He's no longer frowned upon by by the general "rock" loving public. He's comfortable financially, and I'm sure constantly being labeled an "iconic" figure isn't doing much in the way of damaging his self-esteem. It's not fair to expect someone in their 60's to sound young and pissed, esp. if they have no reason to.

You love making drawn out statements of the blindingly obvious, with a sense of authority and personal insight that would've put Moses to shame, on subjects about which there is little or no debate. You clearly take enjoyment in setting up false premisses, just so you can pat yourself on the back for knocking them down. Please explain were I said anything that could possibly be construed as my expecting Iggy to sound "young and pissed off"? For the record I'd have happily settled for old and in-tune.

sway wrote:
The Weirdness, all in all, was not a very strong album (even though it did have it's moments...consider "Mexican Guy", + "My idea of Fun"). No one that participated on that record (including Ron) unleashed the ferocity that made up those first three records. Understandable! They took a break for thirty something odd years!

More statements of the blatantly obvious, with the old "false premiss" trick snuck into the middle. I never said that any of the other band members played with the "ferocity" of the first three albums, nor did I even imply it. Re "consider "Mexican Guy" + "My Idea Of Fun". The only person who should be considering those two songs is Weird Al Yankovic, and I'm guessing the reason he doesn't is because they are already, lyrically, beyond parody.

sway wrote:
To me, the album sounded like a celebration of old friends letting go of the past, and MAKING MUSIC. Just the simple fact that they even got back together in the first place speaks wonders. I know it meant the world to Ron. I always thought the record had a certain "dreamy" quality....

We're all entitled to express an opinion Sway, that's the joy of democracy. You can even talk some more about GG Allin if you want.

sway wrote:
And yes, there was a point of time in history to where Iggy was taking credit where credit was not due. I think this was likely more of a jab at past band mates, than an attempt to seek further praise (reality is...Iggy was much more successful as a solo artist than a Stooge). THEY WERE ALL TALKING SHIT! Ron seemed to have a few things to say about James + Raw Power that we later found out was NOT the complete truth, either. Again, bitterness.

Thank you for pointing out "reality" to me, and there was me thinking the Stooges had been a multi-platinum selling band "back in the day". I thank you also for sharing your personal insight into the workings of Iggy's mind. I'm especially impressed by your knowledge of decades old post band interviews , as, being 26 years old now, you would have been how old when this was all going on?

Re "THEY WERE ALL TALKING SHIT!" First off, no need to shout, I'm only stupid, not blind. Secondly, I look forward to your backing that up with direct quotes from Ron, Scott, or James, and/or any of the bass players, talking Iggy-style shit about the other band members. And no, "I was pissed off that James took over on guitar", or "Me and my brother were pissed of we got dumped when they went to London", are not the same thing.

sway wrote:
WHY GIVE A FUCK? What is said + done in the personal lives of artists doesn't always speak volumes for the art itself. And again....consider how they ended the first go around, and the balls it must have taken to get back on stage again...not as 20 somethings, but as middle-aged men. That's badass in my book. Of course there was a lot of money to be made, + I'm sure that was at least part of the reason that it happened to begin with...but that means absolutely nothing. Success is the word. Success was something even the early Stooges wanted. 'least they found it @ some point, right?

There you go with the false premisses again. Where did I say anything about Iggy's "personal life", or claim or even imply a connection between that and his "art"? Though I'm sure there is a very clear and direct one. People don't usually consider interviews given to journalists for publication as "private". The only band members who needed balls to get up and play those songs were Ron and Scott, Iggy has been living/touring off them ever since the Stooges split, I'm surprised you were unaware of that. That that's "badass" to a GG Allin fan is about as interesting to me as a Spice Girls fan's take on the Ronettes.

sway wrote:
People often forget that Raw Power wasn't even supposed to be a Stooges record. Ron himself often even went as far as to cite it as being "Iggy's first solo album". Which, essentially is what it was. It was a new chapter, and the only reason Scotty + Ron even played on it to begin with is because Iggy and James couldn't find suitable musicians elsewhere.

There you go again with your remarkable insight into what other people are thinking, or in this case "forgetting". If you seriously think that Raw Power is in any way shape or form "essentially" an Iggy Pop solo record, you clearly need to be kept away from sharp objects.

sway wrote:
Fact....Ron's dead. Iggy said not long ago that the Stooges died w/ Ron. Fact...it makes much more sense for the current line up to be referred to as "Iggy + the Stooges". No one in the band seems to be upset about it...why should the fans be?

Yet more statements of the obvious, delivered like you think they're knockout blows, or was the intent, re "Fact....Ron's dead", just to offend? Fact....I couldn't give a flying fuck what Iggy says, unlike you I don't get a hard-on for self-harmers.

sway wrote:
The Stooges are a fuckin' band, not a lifestyle. If one has an issue with how they choose to go on as a band, doesn't it make much more sense for them to keep their mouths shut and listen to something else? I think so. I mean, they aren't YOUR band...

More false premisses, yet more statements of the obvious. Re mouths being kept shut, I think I've pretty much dealt with that one by now.

sway wrote:
And the Stooges did NOT reunite as means of "living in the past". I'm sure they've experienced a few moments of nostalgia, but what gives? They got back together, and wrote NEW music. OUTSTANDING! I think that, too, took a lot of balls. They were doing just fine financially doing shows playing those old tunes. SHIT...that's where MOST of their coin was coming from. No one makes money off of album sells anymore. Them recording a new album (despite fan opinions regarding the quality of the music) says great things about the character of one of my favorite rock n roll bands ever!

Sleep

sway wrote:
All those guys are filthy rich. They don't need the band as a means of paying the bills. Relax, and give em some fuckin' credit!

Re their finances, you know nothing, and you're showing it. Re credit, I give the Stooges credit pretty much every single day, but blowing Iggy is your job.

sway wrote:
PS....I've got a gut feeling anything they record in the future w/ James is going to kick serious ass! He seems really excited about making music again, and his guitar playing is phenominal. That dark/sexy stage presence is still there. I felt it when listening to/watching the Brazil show. I think, as sad as it is, the death of Ron might offer some raw emotion for these guys to pull from/create with. Expect good things....if not, why waste yr time paying attention?

"That dark/sexy stage presence is still there. I felt it when listening to/watching the Brazil show".

I'm sure you did.

sway wrote:
Kisses

Right back at ya'!

Last edited by Petrie Terrace on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Ron did become a millionaire shortly before he died if you want to believe Niagra...dubious "facts" at best. And Ig did ask for them to be called "Iggy And The Stooges", Ron stated this in an interview and I have heard nothing from the other band members to contradict this. Ron hardly slagged off James and Iggy at all and if he did he had a reason to, he was treated like shit by them. Ig had no reasons to mock the Ashetons he had a safely secure public platform which he had climbed, knocking everyone off on his way off it as he went.

sway wrote:
None of this really matters, but you did ask Nat...

In other words, don't be a smartass.

That'll teach you Nat, your lack of Stooges info is embarrassing.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Yes, Rory, I hang my head in shame.

I better go and read alll the books written by people who were not there so I can bone up on my second and third hand information.

Kiss, kiss
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 9:07 pm

Natalie wrote:

I better go and read alll the books written by people who were not there so I can bone up on my second and third hand information.

Kiss, kiss

I know how you feel Nat, sadly I'm not 26 now so I never got to see The Stooges in their prime when they toured under the name Iggy Pop and released classics like "Why Was I Born?" on their seminal album "Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare Soundtrack".
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 9:21 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Natalie wrote:

Kiss, kiss

I know how you feel Nat, sadly I'm not 26 now so I never got to see The Stooges in their prime when they toured under the name Iggy Pop and released classics like "Why Was I Born?" on their seminal album "Freddy's Dead - The Final Nightmare Soundtrack".

Iggy planning new material - Page 5 910986
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 pm

all this bitching and sniping is getting boring guys. Let's get back to talking about how big Iggy's dick is...j/k
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
all this bitching and sniping is getting boring guys.
well said.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Good way to get out of expressing an opinion there. May get splinters from sitting on the fence though.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 pm

OK, I used to reiterate my opinion on here all the time. I guess I'm exhausted by now!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Damn, what a fuckin' train wreck this thread turned out to be!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 10:48 pm

I hope the people who were there used a standard American ruler instead of metric to measure Iggy's penis so we don't have to do conversions. No math please on this forum.

There's going to be a great deal of copy in the month(s) to come in tandem with the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame/Paw Power reissue stuff. I've seen galleys of one major British mag and yes, unfortunately, our nice Ashetons were quoted with nasty diatribes about fellow band members, some of which easily could be challenged by Snopes.

Who cares, I'm just glad they're in the media, playing live, purportedly writing bad ass new material, and, knock on wood, all remaining healthy enough to continue to do so to suffice all fans, festival listeners and forum master debaters alike.cyclops
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
Damn, what a fuckin' train wreck this thread turned out to be!

Yes, it's amazing how badly people react to discovering that not everyone dances around their personal maypole.

There have been, at time of writing, 33329 posts on this forum. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what fraction of 1%, and it would be a fraction of 1%, were critical of Iggy?

Perdu wrote:
There's going to be a great deal of copy in the month(s) to come in tandem with the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame/Paw Power reissue stuff. I've seen galleys of one major British mag and yes, unfortunately, our nice Ashetons were quoted with nasty diatribes about fellow band members, some of which easily could be challenged by Snopes.

I'm happy to take your word for it, though what they may or may not do/say now has no bearing whatsoever on the past. Also, they may be your "nice Ashetons", but they are not mine.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 am

OK, I'm gonna close this thread now!

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy planning new material
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5