Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy planning new material

Go down 
+27
sway
Gimme some skin
totenkopf
mc
23rd Express
Lucas
Iguanas
Perdu
harmonia
Radish
TeddyB1018
boogie
Petrie Terrace
Aku
hank67
Nadja
studioguy
Radiobirdman73
Funhousehideaway#2
homesickjameswilliamson
Natalie
trailerborn
G, F#, E
Loose1969
the5thramone37
freemind
EmmaUK
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 pm

James could not save them in 74, and James can not save them now.

It's either all of them coming together to make the music or disaster again.

Rory, you know WHO the more original guitarist is!

I will miss him forever!
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:22 pm

Let Bowie produce the next Stooges record.And if it's bad blame him for next 35 years!
Then remix everything in the red....
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 pm

boogie wrote:
Let Bowie produce the next Stooges record.And if it's bad blame him for next 35 years!
Then remix everything in the red....

Shhhh!!! Are you Crazy

Don't go giving him ideas, his ears are everywhere Suspect
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:41 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
Why is everyone get their hopes up SO high for this, does nobody remember "The Weirdness"?!

two words - James Williamson

How stupid of me to think that Ron Asheton could match James, let alone be a more original guitarist.

geesh - I wasn't trying to suggest that he could. But, based on historical reference, Iggy certainly had more respect for James' abilities as a songwriter and producer. Which, if he gives James at least a passing chance at helping to write and record/produce new material - my guess is that the end result will somewhat better than The Weirdness.

But then again - as some genius once said - the proof is in the pudding - so that remains to be seen.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
Why is everyone get their hopes up SO high for this, does nobody remember "The Weirdness"?!

How stupid of me to think that Ron Asheton could match James, let alone be a more original guitarist.

geesh - I wasn't trying to suggest that he could. But, based on historical reference, Iggy certainly had more respect for James' abilities as a songwriter and producer. Which, if he gives James at least a passing chance at helping to write and record/produce new material - my guess is that the end result will somewhat better than The Weirdness.

But then again - as some genius once said - the proof is in the pudding - so that remains to be seen.

Kill City was damn good and that was just James and Iggy
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 am

"Kill City" is no match for the first two Stooges albums, never will be. And Ig just didn't say bad things about James the way he did with the Ashetons. Though I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that James was very high up at an unbelievably big record label.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:57 am

G, F#, E wrote:
"Kill City" is no match for the first two Stooges albums, never will be. And Ig just didn't say bad things about James the way he did with the Ashetons. Though I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact that James was very high up at an unbelievably big record label.

The first two Stooges records are great but completely different than Raw Power or Kill City. I like all of the Stooges material but started with Raw Power and Kill City and worked backwards from there and I like Williamson's songwriting better.

That being said I've been waiting 30+ years for more Pop/Williamson songs and I'm going to be optimistic for the future and not live in a past that is gone forever unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:10 am

James never worked at a record label. He worked for Sony's electronics division and had no clout with the record company. I hope people are not rooting for a new album to be inferior to The Weirdness because of some partisan Ron vs. James nonsense. The Weirdness was Iggy trying to relocate that atavistic or "shamanistic" space and generally failing. I would guess that a new album with James would indeed be less "original" and use more familiar rock and roll, folk and blues structures. I think that will make for a better album from a 2010-era Iggy than The Weirdness. Iggy had moved on from the early Stooges thing by 1972. The chances of him reconstituting something of the bluesy, Stonesish direction he had going with James in the late '70's is better and, of course, from past history we all suspect James will be pushier than Ron in the process. He is in a stronger position to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 2:11 am

Gawd, I KNEW there would be comparisons of Ron and James. Well, there IS no comparison. Both are great, but there will never be another Ron Fuckin' Asheton.

With that said, Iggy and Scott are still there. Let's give 'em a chance, fer fuck's sakes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
TeddyB1018

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 2:58 am

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 am

Loose1969 wrote:
Gawd, I KNEW there would be comparisons of Ron and James. Well, there IS no comparison. Both are great, but there will never be another Ron Fuckin' Asheton.

With that said, Iggy and Scott are still there. Let's give 'em a chance, fer fuck's sakes!

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:12 am

Loose1969 wrote:

i always wait for Loose to have the deciding post in these Ron v James debates

wholeheartedly agree, cant compare them, two different styles of guitar/music etc

RIP Ron & Good Luck James
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:14 am

I am not only willing to give them a chance, I ache for possibility of a great studio album.
Nothing would make me happier than to have that.

Just for the record, I am not about a Ron vs James thing. You are absolutlely correct Steve, both of them are great. My humble opinion is that Ron was more original, James more commercial. Both are superb, both have their place.

My issue was with the Weirdness and the fact that I plain and simple do not like it. Yes, Ron sounds great, and yes Scott's drumming is right on as always, but you have to take the album's body of work as a whole. The lyrics are bad, the production was bad, and the mix has no balls. In my opinion, that equals not good.

Give me a bad quality boot. I'll listen to that before the Weirdness gets played any day.

That's my truth. Everybody is entilted to their own.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:17 am

HJW,

Nobody has the deciding post or opinion here. It's about choice and making up your own mind.

I don't see a poll, Ron vs James. It's not needed!

And once again, JMHO.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 am

The Weirdness is a tough album to warm up to. I'm still not crazy about the mix, it makes the band sound thin. Compare that with the Stooges' Skull Ring tracks. No comparison.
I still like it though. It just doesn't have "it" like the first two.

But all that's the past behind us. Let's greet any NEW Stooges stuff with open arms and see how it sounds. Smile
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:20 am

Natalie wrote:
HJW,

Nobody has the deciding post or opinion here. It's about choice and making up your own mind.

I don't see a poll, Ron vs James. It's not needed!

And once again, JMHO.

Natalie

I don't have a deciding post? DAMN!!!

Laughing Just kidding, Natalie. We all have to evaluate the music in our own way. Wink
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 am

Kiss, Kiss, Kiss at you, Steve!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:24 am

Freaking Out Crazy
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 am

It's like I've woken up in an episode of The Twilight Zone ...

I thought I was in a Stooges forum, but I'm surrounded by tree-huggers Iggy planning new material - Page 2 662248
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 4:15 am

Natalie wrote:
I am not only willing to give them a chance, I ache for possibility of a great studio album.
Nothing would make me happier than to have that.

Just for the record, I am not about a Ron vs James thing. You are absolutlely correct Steve, both of them are great. My humble opinion is that Ron was more original, James more commercial. Both are superb, both have their place.

My issue was with the Weirdness and the fact that I plain and simple do not like it. Yes, Ron sounds great, and yes Scott's drumming is right on as always, but you have to take the album's body of work as a whole. The lyrics are bad, the production was bad, and the mix has no balls. In my opinion, that equals not good.

Give me a bad quality boot. I'll listen to that before the Weirdness gets played any day.

That's my truth. Everybody is entilted to their own.

Yes, but, in this case at least, yours is right. Cool
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 am

Still, just my opinion.

Iggy planning new material - Page 2 910986
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:
It's like I've woken up in an episode of The Twilight Zone ...

I thought I was in a Stooges forum, but I'm surrounded by tree-huggers Iggy planning new material - Page 2 662248

Tree-huggers? Man, you'd better guess again! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 am

On the Weirdness.......the boys just had reunited and were in a huge hurry to write material for an album......they didn't really spend any time with the songs... they put this album together in a flash..... the next album was the one they were going to spend more time on.......but with Ron's passing........

I just hope they (James and Jim) don't make the same mistake......

Stopped by for a visit and to see where my damn spices are!? Natalie!!! *hugs*......
Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 am

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

Amen !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy planning new material
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next