Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy planning new material

Go down 
+27
sway
Gimme some skin
totenkopf
mc
23rd Express
Lucas
Iguanas
Perdu
harmonia
Radish
TeddyB1018
boogie
Petrie Terrace
Aku
hank67
Nadja
studioguy
Radiobirdman73
Funhousehideaway#2
homesickjameswilliamson
Natalie
trailerborn
G, F#, E
Loose1969
the5thramone37
freemind
EmmaUK
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
EmmaUK

Number of posts : 360
Registration date : 2007-07-13

Iggy planning new material Empty
PostSubject: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm

Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:47 pm

With James on guitar and co writing (like raw power) it's gonna be awesome. Can't wait >.<
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Possibly going to be the best 3 years since 69 70 and 71!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:18 pm

It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Why is everyone get their hopes up SO high for this, does nobody remember "The Weirdness"?!
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Why is everyone get their hopes up SO high for this, does nobody remember "The Weirdness"?!

I treat 'The Weirdness' like 'Godfather III'
It has it's moments, but otherwise doesn't exist.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 1:40 am

The Weirdness has one moment and it's fleeting............O Solo Mio.

JMHO Very Happy Surprised
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:24 am

wow, lotta weirdness beating

i actually really like weirdness, but am fully aware of its shortcomings, im mostly into it for the ashetons and the, as you say natalie, 'fleeting' brilliance of some of iggys lyrics, like o solo mio or passing cloud or my idea of fun (cept maybe the chorus) and some others, iggy can be really good, but like i said its all about the ashetons for me - just wish we couldve heard a (true) follow up
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 2:52 am

The Weirdness isn't THAT FUCKING BAD, people! No, it doesnt stack up against the first two. But how can you NOT like Ron's mean-ass riffs and Scotty's drumming on that? It's fun stuff. Not their best, but fun nevertheless.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:33 am

Loose1969 wrote:
The Weirdness isn't THAT FUCKING BAD, people! No, it doesnt stack up against the first two. But how can you NOT like Ron's mean-ass riffs and Scotty's drumming on that? It's fun stuff. Not their best, but fun nevertheless.

Well put man. Personally I think its impossible for them to match up to the first two albums but only because they were made in a completely different time. Their playing hasnt changed (constant touring has proven this) but it's not like theyre still getting stoned then experimenting or writing. With that said, The Weirdness for its time is a pretty good album. The playings got that classic stooge sound and all tracks are more then enjoyable. Personally, Ive got high hopes for the new Williamson line up and im looking forword to the new tracks coming......I think I hear it comin'....I think hear it comin' ...(couldnt resist alittle Head On reference Smile)
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 am

The Weirdness is all right. My opinion.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 4:46 am

G, F#, E wrote:

two words - James Williamson
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 am

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

He'll probably be way more hands on as far as lyrics go.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 am

Loose1969 wrote:

Well said!
Back to top Go down
hank67

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

weirdness is a good album, the ashetons deliver, what I don't like are iggy's vocals, he sounds totally uninspired on most tracks
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:33 pm

Loose1969 wrote:

I don't like Scott's drumming on Weirdness, cause I hate the way it's been recorded. How on earth could they have so crappy Snare drum sound. I find it so suprisng, cause I loved Dave Ghrol's drums on Nirvana's In Utero - They sound powerful and HUGE! - Albini did a great job on In Utero, but on Weirdness - My God, someone should have said "Albini, Wake Up - Go and put better microphones on those drums! Snare drum sounds like Scott's beating on metal ashtray.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 5:49 pm

If they do record again I'm sure it will be far better than The Weirdness on most levels, not because of any greater talent that James has in comparison to Ron, but just because I can't see James letting Iggy call all the shots. I'd imagine a new album would be recorded by someone who has at least some idea of what was required of them, and a track selection based on more than just Iggy says this song does/doesn't get recorded.

Re Steve Albini, he wouldn't know how to produce a rock'n'roll band if his life depended on it. You only have to look at Union Carbide Productions, he recorded their fourth album so badly they went back to Sweden in despair, remixed the tapes as best they could, and split up. They got stuck with him because some genius at their label thought a "name" producer would be good for some extra press/kudos. I have a feeling that same "logic" applied years later when he got offered the job producing "The Weirdness". As other people have said on here before, imagine if someone like Rick Rubin had got the job.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Quote :
imagine if someone like Rick Rubin had got the job.

i was just thinking the same thing as i read your post on Albini

albini isnt terrible, but i think (and i dont know much about him to be honest) he takes a back seat, and in this case, the weirdness, he let a reconstituted stooges who were unsure of themselves make the choices, and iggy as bandleader ....mightve made a few bad decisions

in the exact opposite direction though, i think rubin would possibly be quite over bearing with the band and it mightve been an equally 'bad' album because of his (over)influence

i dont know enough about producers to really make a suggestion, but i think a younger, more contemporary producer might have been a better choice
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Let's get back to basics, better lyrics, better songs first, please!

Then we can talk about producers, mixes etc.

Sorry, nobody loves these guys as much as me, but "My idea of fun, is killing everyone' just does not cut it.

It would not have cut it in 1969 and it sure does not in 2010.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 pm

I've said it before, but whomever produced the last Grinderman album should handle the Stooges. Now THAT is how a dirty wah-wah should sound in the 21'st century.

I'm sure Albini would assure you that the vinyl sounds much better. And in Albini's defence, he did want to open the album with O Solo Mio. I think Iggy's desire for a more 'commercial' product got in the way a bit and led to the scrapping of OSM & a few quirkier (but superior) tracks only available on the Japanese release. I wish Iggy's ego would've allowed him to accept Jack White as producer - I know he was chomping at the bit to get the job.

I just wish they'd waited a bit longer. An album recorded after 2-3 yrs. of touring together would've been much, much better. I saw the reunited band three times and they were exponentially better with each gig. Even The Weirdness stuff fight right into the set - no mean feat.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Natalie wrote:
"My idea of fun, is killing everyone' just does not cut it

He's just doing his "Jim was a Shaman" Morrison tribute, think "The blue bus, is calling us"*

(*All lyrics copyright "Rock's greatest poet", "Jim was a Shaman" is a registered trademark of Ray Manzarek Enterprises)
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Iggy planning new material 910986
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Natalie wrote:
Let's get back to basics, better lyrics, better songs first, please!

Then we can talk about producers, mixes etc.

Sorry, nobody loves these guys as much as me, but "My idea of fun, is killing everyone' just does not cut it.

It would not have cut it in 1969 and it sure does not in 2010.

Actually, I kind of like that one. I dig the irony in the lyric and it does sort of capture the Bush-era zeitgeist. The weakest lyrics generally involve Mexicans and/or Iggy's penis.

Another reason I wanted Jack White - he could've really helped with arrangements and actual songcraft. Albini just hits 'record'. (Disclaimer: I'm not a huge White Stripes fan, but the guy has chops).

Re: Morrison - I spit coke out my nose when reading 'Please Kill Me'. Two pages of violent Morrison-bashing from Danny Fields etc. then a single quote from Manzarek: "Jim was a shaman". That and the hilarious Dennis Thompson quotes were the best bits.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Outside of the poor lyrics, the Weirdness sounded too modern and polished. They should have just set up in a big room and recorded just like they did for "Fun House"
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Radiobirdman73 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

How stupid of me to think that Ron Asheton could match James, let alone be a more original guitarist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy planning new material
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next