Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions

Go down 
+15
ElRoi
heavy liquid
Perdu
neven
TeddyB1018
Iguanas
dynamite boogie
krugersoldier
mc
G, F#, E
adams66
Parry The Wind High, Low
popmansam
sway
RRHF2010
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RRHF2010

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Empty
PostSubject: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:40 am

Hi again, everyone. I first want to thank everyone who has been generous enough to have contacted us and made a contribution to the tribute film being produced for the Induction event coming up quickly on March 15th. These folks would include the webmaster of this wonderful forum as well as Natalie Schlossman, who is all-knowing.

In this instance, we are looking for television or radio interviews with various music artists on the subject of The Stooges and / or Iggy. This would include, but not limited to the following:

* David Bowie

* Johnny Rotten

* Lou Reed

* Eddie Vedder

* Kurt Cobain

Many thanks in advance!

Larry Yelen
Director of Archival Research
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2010 Inductions
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:40 am

Eddie Vedder?
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Gee, i sure hope he likes the stooges. What o what will we do if he doesnt?
Back to top Go down
Parry The Wind High, Low

Parry The Wind High, Low

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 5:48 pm

Black Francis of Pixies should be in that list considering his adoration for both The Stooges and Iggy.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Henry Rollins would also be a great interviewee.
Cheers,
R
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 12:15 am

Alice Cooper would be a possible, he adores "Fun House".
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 1:37 am

Can anyone actually find any footage of big name music artists talking about the Stooges as an influence? All I've managed to find is a short piece by Joey Ramone, and Henry Rollins doing a stand up routine where he talks about wanting to blow Iggy off the stage and failing miserably.

What about Jack White? He's a big fan I think.
Back to top Go down
RRHF2010

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 3:16 am

mc wrote:
Can anyone actually find any footage of big name music artists talking about the Stooges as an influence? All I've managed to find is a short piece by Joey Ramone, and Henry Rollins doing a stand up routine where he talks about wanting to blow Iggy off the stage and failing miserably.

Well, this gets to the heart of it, and I appreciate you understand that. Print interviews are easy to find; filmed not so much. Generally, this is often among the most difficult material to find because it is not always cross-referenced this way in the various archival databases we refer to. It frequently comes down to what people can actually remember and it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack on occasion.

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I'm running out of time and would really like to find some cool stuff of "name" musicians giving it up for The Stooges.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 am

Jack White is a HUGE fan....He wrote some liner notes to Fun House (or was it the first record?) that I seem to remember being really good. A great story about finding a stooges record in the trash, and being totally blown away by it.

I know this one is a bit weird, but I've always been interested in hearing Beck talk a bit more about the Stooges. I know hes a fan, but he's so stand-offish when discussing music. Great about name dropping his influences, not always so great when detailing HOW a given artist influenced him. Some of that trashy blues lead thats popped up in some of his lesser-known material yells Ronnie, mes thinks. Not nec. the sound of the playing, but the approach. Punked out trashy blues.

Would be amazing to hear something from Alice C.

And despite his douche-baggery....I think hearing a little something from Nugent would be cool, even if it was negative commentary. Always a nice thing to be able to compare/contrast opinions from the good folks that witnessed the stooges early on. Maybe Nugent is a fan? I don't know...doubt it. Guess its safe to assume Nugent saw 'em...seem to remember him saying something, can't remember what though.
Back to top Go down
RRHF2010

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 8:31 am

Thank you for your really interesting comments and ideas, Sway. Jack White would be a great one to find, for sure, and I'm scouring a variety of resources. I've dealt with White Stripes management and they're very cool people, so I think I should ring this up and see if they have anything on hand or could direct me further...Without editorial comment I will just say I enjoyed your remarks about The Nuge.

Larry
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:00 am

I've heard Ted Nugent saying the MC5 was the best band he ever saw live, so im sure he would be very positive about the Stooges. Nugent as an important (if deluded) member of the Detroit rock fraternity would be a good guy for the job.
Shame Johnny and Dee Dee are no longer around they loved the Stooges (sniff...)
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am

how about brian james from the damned ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 am

14-03-1999 Behind The Music VH1 (DVD)
Documentary
One part include interviews about The Stooges

05-12-2004 The Southbank show UK TV (DVD)
Include interviews with Wayne Kramer, Danny Fields etc. + live The Stooges clips (1969-2004)

00-12-2008 VH1 Classic - 100 rock songs show (DVD)
VH1 - 49. Search and Destroy
Include:
00-04-1970 The Saginaw Civic Center (footage)
Iggy Pop (interview)
Henry Rollins (interview)
Slash (interview)
The Donnas (interview)
Scott Ian (interview)
Don Dokken (interview)
02-12-1999 Brussels, Ancienne Belgique (footage)
Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
sway

sway

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 am

Really, most anyone from the US and UK punk scenes of the mid-70's to early 80's. Often times there seemed to be a bit of competition/playful bashing between the two countries (listen to the Pistols "New York", and then Johnny Thunder's "London Boys")...but EVERYONE (basically) was covering/listening to the Stooges. I know John Lydon (Rotten) mentions being a BIG fan of the Stooges in his autobiography.

And even though there are very mixed feelings regarding Rob Zombie, he too seems to be a pretty serious fan. He's used Stooges songs in his films, and even had Iggy do an introduction to a White Zombie song (It's been a WHILE...but I believe it was "Black Sunshine"...someone please correct me if I've mistaken).

And not to bring up Sonic Youth for the ten millionth time, but those peeps are HUGE fans as well. They've sampled the music of the Stooges, performed Stooges material w/ members of the Stooges (Iggy and Ron....separate occasions of course) while the Stooges were not a functioning unit. They've mentioned them and their influence countless times in interviews/etc. Thurston Moore wrote a really nice little piece on the band recently (check is blog: http://flowersandcream.blogspot.com/).

The drummer from Awesome Color grew up very close to Scotty Asheton. Matter of fact, Scotty taught 'em how to play drums (Funny thing is, the kid wasn't even aware of the Stooges or Scott's roll in the band until he was in his later teens). I'm sure he'd have some interesting things to say.

And also...MUDHONEY!!!! Mark Arm and Steve Turner have championed the Stooges for ages. Mark was a vocalist for the Wylde Ratttz, and even did vocals for the '5 on one of their reunion tours. Iggy himself has mentioned that Mark was almost like an unspoken son (their stage presence is VERY similar....). And Asheton style guitar can be heard something SERIOUS in Steve's guitar playing. Their version of "I Wanna Be Yr Dog" (an outro to the song "halloween") is probably the most original cover I've ever heard of the song with maybe an exception of the Swan's acoustic version (very eerie take on the song...). I've met the Mudhoney guys.....they are all really nice and approachable, given the opportunity to meet them. Steve was super open to questions when I met 'em. Mark was a bit stand offish, but still nice (he was talking to some girl...so go figure). The other two guys, bassist Guy, and Drummer Danny were very nice and talkative.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm

HOF member Mick Jones of the Clash was at the King's Cross show in '72 and is a big fan. He and the rest of the Clash were thrilled that they recorded their debut album in the same exact studio on Whitfield Street that Iggy and the Stooges recorded Raw Power in. The late Joe Strummer used to cover 1969 with his band the Mescaleros.
Back to top Go down
RRHF2010

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Sway, Teddy, Iguanas

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge, expertise and passion about the band. I am impressed as I am grateful for your assistance.

As evidenced by Sway, in particular, it is essential in the understanding of an artist's prominence to consiider the fullest context and scope of their music and its influence. The tricky thing about what we do with these tribute films is to touch upon as much of that as reasonable in the three minutes or so we have to tell the story.

Our producers are pretty good at that, but there are the inevitable omissions and that's where the "big names" win the day with regards to inclusion. As an example, Joe Strummer, Mick Jones, the Pistols have major cred, as does Sonic Youth, but in this compressed time frame, it's doubtful Sonic Youth would make the cut.

With specific regards to The Southbank Show. That's something that is represented by a company we deal with here in the States, but seems to have fallen through the cracks and we don't have a copy. If any of you would be kind enough and have the time to burn a copy, like yeserday Smile , and post it via our FedEx account, that would be great. Please write me privately if you think you can: musictvguy@hotmail.com

Continued thanks!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Dee Dee talks about The Stooges in "End Of The Century", The Stooges were also mentioned by alot of artists in the punk documentary "Punk Attitude".
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:58 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Dee Dee talks about The Stooges in "End Of The Century", The Stooges were also mentioned by alot of artists in the punk documentary "Punk Attitude".

Good one G, I think this is what Larry needs. References to specific documentaries / interview clips that have already been made!
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 pm

larry,i just hope some unseen stooges footage.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

neven wrote:
larry,i just hope found some unseen stooges footage.
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

So am i reading right? The Stooges on Fuse TV Monday?
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:28 am

check their website
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 10:20 am

popmansam wrote:
So am i reading right? The Stooges on Fuse TV Monday?

Yes, at 8:30pm. It was posted on Scott's Myspace.

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:15 pm

mc wrote:

G, F#, E wrote:

Dee Dee does mention the Stooges as a major influence in the doc "End of the Century." He recalls repeatedly listening to Metallic KO with the other guys when they were young. Also, several of the artists from the NY Noise Scene of the mid to late 70's cite the Stooges as a major influence in the doc "Kill Your Idiols." I'm pretty sure there numerous other examples that I can't recollect off hand.

Last edited by ElRoi on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Is this being streamed on line by any chance?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions   Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next