Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

Go down 
+90
blackout88
Mr. FunBoy
CARLTON
morwells
Five Star Edge
shemp
jdb1982
comaman
heavy liquid
G, F#, E
dtklamf
adams66
hank67
KarlR
specotron
ziggy
jaredlange911
Luzern
LunarTunes
Stranger09
modernlover
Shakes
Triskell
unheard78
liam studebaker
TED
mghifi
trigger
NOS300B
ianianian
rubber legs
rev. mike
berlinberlin
the5thramone37
seventeen
steve2787
Nitebob
Nervousnorvus
johnthelawman
jerrythebarman
ashitanoramen
elvis plebsley
Nadja
TeddyB1018
Radiobirdman73
nkdlunch
Ilmostro
StoogesFan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Tyronehell
StoogeFan
Natalie
andrew
mr.datsun
neven
gasman124
sway
Loose1969
napalm_cheetah
kaiserken
ad_hoc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
Iguanas
mark
coffeepotman
birchy
Monger
Gimme some skin
Aku
Cato
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
freemind
Garageman
jpod
Chris Moise
mc
ElRoi
sweet_sixteen
Petrie Terrace
weed_killer
citizensmurf
stooges
Hectorlovesthestooges
MJG196
rabid_fish
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
trailerborn
ggriffin
94 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:57 am

johnthelawman wrote:
I myself prefer the overall 2010 sound (once speed corrected, of course) over the 2005 and for this reason. While they eliminated much of the hum sound (if I listen real closely, I can still hear that it's there), but this in turn stripped out way too much midrange and left a very hollow sound. And midrange is already not good on this mix.

Having just downloaded a speed corrected version, kindly provided by someone above who I wont name (thank-you!), I can now agree with you that the 2010 master is a better sound. Whilst the 2005 CD was interesting to hear, it felt like a let down as a mix. This one (2010) is a fuller sound and suddenly the Cale mix sounds much more powerful and viable as a mix that for me begins to stand up at least equally to the version they released in 1969. I'm also enjoying the fresh running order and now I can actually listen to it I don't care too much about the mains hum.

It's great to be able to hear it properly. And now I should add – over to you, Rhino.

Last edited by mr.datsun on Tue May 25, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ggriffin

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-04-13

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:06 pm

I wonder what speed the Ungano's tape will play at
Back to top Go down
ziggy

ziggy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:57 pm

78 rpm
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:23 pm

The accompanying vinyl single (containing L.A. Blues parts 1 and 2) will most likely play at 78 rpm.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:11 pm

If anyone would be so very kind as to e-mail with a location where I may find the correctly pitched version of the Cale mix, I would be very greatful indeed... and would glady 'pay you back' in kind if possible. Many thanks in advance to that anticipated kind soul!
specotron@msn.com
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:34 pm

specotron wrote:
If anyone would be so very kind as to e-mail with a location where I may find the correctly pitched version of the Cale mix, I would be very greatful indeed... and would glady 'pay you back' in kind if possible. Many thanks in advance to that anticipated kind soul!
specotron@msn.com
i pm'd you on another's behalf.
Back to top Go down
specotron

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:41 pm

Thank so very much to those kind enough to take care of me. As I have written you privately, I bought the Rhino box for the Cale mixes and my level of disappointment was over the top when I first heard the crap Rhino sent out. This so very much makes my day (or night, when I get home from work and can finally hear the album the way it was meant to be heard).

My replacement CDs claimed they were sent in Rhino's "quest for perfection" ...are they kidding?! Also received generic e-mail regarding Rhino's next release, to which I replied after the garbage that is The Stooges, I will steer clear of your excrement label forever.

Thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:06 pm

did the replacement cds come with the 7x7 cover?
Back to top Go down
specotron

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:16 pm

No, it came in a blank slim-line double CD jewel case with a little insert speaking of Rhino's quest for perfection.
Back to top Go down
steve2787

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:56 pm

specotron wrote:
specotron@msn.com

I'm also a disappointed buyer of the Rhino set. Could anyone PM me a link to the corrected Cale mixes?
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:03 am

I would like only songs from this album because I have a Deluxe Edition and I think is unnecessary to throw away money on songs that I have...Only way I can pay you is through SMS,or i to your buy RAPIDSHARE premium etc
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 3:06 am

specotron wrote:
No, it came in a blank slim-line double CD jewel case with a little insert speaking of Rhino's quest for perfection.

nice touch of irony there, that I know you're hinting at! Smile
Back to top Go down
johnthelawman

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-04-12

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:15 am

Weren't the Doors albums in the late 60s using Dolby? Both bands were on Elektra.

Also, since this is a copy and not a master, we don't know when this particular tape was made. The master may not have had Dolby, but it could've been used when making this dub. Whatever the case with Dolby, something's not right with the high-end. I'd like to know what the copy of the regular mix that is said to be on that tape sounds like. Would maybe give a clue as to how the Cale mix should be Dolby'd and/or eq'd.
Back to top Go down
KarlR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:30 am

steve2787 wrote:
specotron wrote:
specotron@msn.com

I'm also a disappointed buyer of the Rhino set. Could anyone PM me a link to the corrected Cale mixes?

Ummm, could I also get a link? PM or email to karlr_ 'at' yahoo 'dot' com

Muchas gracias

Last edited by KarlR on Wed May 26, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 8:09 am

Me too? Please send a PM!

Last edited by TeddyB1018 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nkdlunch

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:09 am

Me 3 if possible! Thanks!

maf@well.com
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:17 am

I wouldn't post my email adress here.
This is an open forum section, you'll get even more "Dr. Rock Soliderection" spam mails.
Back to top Go down
hank67

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-24

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:09 pm

I' d like a pm too, if you can, thank you
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:47 pm

I'd appreciate a PM with details as to where the speed corrected Cale mixes are.
Many thanks,
Richard
Back to top Go down
dtklamf

dtklamf

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2007-04-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi

I would also like a PM for Cale mixes at right speed.

Nigel.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Would somebody not just post a link to the corrected Cale mixes in the bootleg thread? I'm sure HL will have no problem with it.
Back to top Go down
LunarTunes

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:55 pm

^There's an idea! Failing that, can I get a PM, too, please? Tongue ...

Peace.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 3:09 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Would somebody not just post a link to the corrected Cale mixes in the bootleg thread? I'm sure HL will have no problem with it.

Better not Rory. Sorry. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com
liam studebaker

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm

I think that it is completely ridiculous that a fan has to do the speed correction. I'm pretty sure that the meeting at Rhino regarding this situation said that this would happen, thus saving them a BUNDLE of cash.

Now toying with the idea of eBay.
Back to top Go down
specotron

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Having now heard the Cale mix at the correct speed, can't help but wonder, what was he thinking? Don't get me wrong here... John Cale is by far one of my very favorite artists; I have virtually everything he ever recorded and have been a fan since 1968 when I first heard The Velvet Underground. That said, what an strange mix... fade-ins and fade-outs that make no sense (i.e.: I Wanna Be Your Dog), guitar solos lowered and lifted in the mix for no apparent reason, etc. I suppose in 1969, Cale was just beginning what was otherwise a very successful producer career and wasn't quite sure how to handle it as a studio neophyte.

There is valid debate regarding which Raw Power mix is better and that question may never be answered, but in the case of The Stooges, the Cale mix could never be considered the better of the two.

However, what a grand pleasure it is to have it... for historic reasons and also as another version of a classic album (is there such a thing as too much Stooges?). Perhaps if the Cale version was the only version I had access to in past 41 years, this entire opinion could be in reverse... perhaps I would be complaining about the original mix. There is no way of knowing.

Sounds like the Cale version of We Will Fall is pretty much identical to the official release. Is that so?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
Page 12 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next