Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again

Go down 
+8
cb
popmansam
G, F#, E
mc
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Nadja
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
12 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Empty
PostSubject: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:05 pm

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/michigan/index.ssf?/base/news-57/122210575024670.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

Iggy Pop band the Stooges nominated for Rock Hall
9/22/2008, 1:43 p.m. EDT
By JOE MILICIA
The Associated Press

CLEVELAND (AP) — Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and Iggy Pop's band the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday.

The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.

The five leading vote-getters will be announced in January and inducted April 4, 2009, in Cleveland.

The ceremony typically has been held in New York but is returning to Cleveland after more than a decade-long absence. Tickets will be made available to the public for the first time.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five opened the door for rap at the Rock Hall as the first hip-hop act to be inducted in 2007. Now, Run-D.M.C., nominated in the first year of its eligibility, has the chance to follow on the strength of rock and rap blends such as the 1986 cover of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" and classics like "It's Tricky" and "My Adidas."

Metallica jumped on the heavy metal wave of the '80s and 25 years later is still selling out arenas. This month the group released "Death Magnetic," which marks a return to its early speed metal days.

The Stooges, recently given props in the film "Juno," get another shot after last appearing on the ballot two years ago. Iggy Pop was born in Muskegon, Mich., and began his music career in the Detroit area.

Left off the ballot were Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bon Jovi. Both had been eligible for the first time. To be nominated an act must have released its first single or album 25 years prior.

More than 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:09 pm

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080922/ENT05/809220397/1361

Iggy and the Stooges nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- again
Adam Graham / Detroit News Pop Music Writer

Could the seventh time be the charm?

Ann Arbor-bred rock iconoclasts the Stooges are nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for a seventh time, joining a list of potential 2009 inductees that includes Metallica, Run-D.M.C., Jeff Beck, Chic, Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War and Bobby Womack. The list of nominees was unveiled Monday morning.

Ballots will be sent to the more than 500 voters who make up the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame voting committee, and five inductees will be announced in January. Instead of its traditional home at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City, the induction ceremony will take place April 4 at Public Hall in Cleveland, and tickets to the ceremony will, for the first time, be made available to the public.

Advertisement

The Stooges seem to have a better shot this year than most. At this year's ceremony, the cantankerous foursome -- led by the irrepressible Iggy Pop -- stole the show with their in-your-face tribute to Michigan gal Madonna, offering up vile, gutter-punk versions of Madge's "Dress You Up" and "Ray of Light" that had even the Material Girl's jaw on the floor. It was a reminder of just how unhinged the band can be, even 40 years after its inception, and had a lot of people wondering why the group had yet to be granted entry into the Hall.

The Stooges were nominated in 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007. A band is eligible for entry into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of its first single or album.

The Stooges, who got back together in 2003 after breaking up nearly 30 years earlier, are on tour in Russia.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:17 pm

well well well
it's gettin fuckin crazy!!!!!

BUT it's cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
for THE STOOGES

Last edited by ZinZin on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:19 pm

well, we know metallica is a definite dead ringer. i'm hoping the stooges do win this year. while we know the rn'r hof is a joke they have deserved this since their first chance to be in it. i find it so rude a majority of other acts that cite them as influences are in there, but their predecessor aren't.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:32 pm

Shakes wrote:
well, we know metallica is a definite dead ringer. i'm hoping the stooges do win this year. while we know the rn'r hof is a joke they have deserved this since their first chance to be in it. i find it so rude a majority of other acts that cite them as influences are in there, but their predecessor aren't.

my sentiments exactly shakes

its a weird balancing act, like on hand HOF is sucky and pointless, and basically a vacuous popularity contest - but on the other, the fact that stooges have been overlooked 6 times

and as you say ppl who claim them as influences have gotten in b4 them, its annoyin u'no, amean do they al have to die in a plane crash just so ppl notice them, amean how ''ahead of your time'' can you be

also is this Iggy Pop & The Stooges, as in iggys inducted and so are the stooges? cos they can hardly just induct the stooges and leave iggy, iggys work is just as important to music as the stooges, well maybe not as important cos stooges seem to have influenced sooo many different genres, but iggys more important than jagger for example, amean i think in terms of like stagecraft, i think it was elvis, jagger and iggy, and iggy destroyed wat they did and started somethin new and different thats yet to be topped, he just pulled down all the walls between act and audience
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:53 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
also is this Iggy Pop & The Stooges, as in iggys inducted and so are the stooges? cos they can hardly just induct the stooges and leave iggy, iggys work is just as important to music as the stooges, well maybe not as important cos stooges seem to have influenced sooo many different genres, but iggys more important than jagger for example, amean i think in terms of like stagecraft, i think it was elvis, jagger and iggy, and iggy destroyed wat they did and started somethin new and different thats yet to be topped, he just pulled down all the walls between act and audience

not this debate again! 'Iggy and The Stooges'? just 'The Stooges'? Just 'Iggy'???? Or 'The Stooges' AND 'Iggy' separately, or 'Iggy and the Stooges' AND 'Iggy' separately?
now I've confused myself, good one
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:08 pm

Quote :
not this debate again! 'Iggy and The Stooges'? just 'The Stooges'? Just 'Iggy'???? Or 'The Stooges' AND 'Iggy' separately, or 'Iggy and the Stooges' AND 'Iggy' separately?
now I've confused myself, good one

ha ha, yeh its confusing stuff

i think its just the way ppl think of the band, and im sure even iggy would like it to be The Stooges inducted u'no

but i love iggys solo stuff, and i dunno, amean i dont want it to be overlooked u'no

but i spose this is just goin in circles, the good news is theyve been nominated again and stand a pretty good chance i thnk

lets hope we see stooges w/ James Williamson! that would be something!!!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:19 am

Hope to see Stooges w/ Williamson, but -- How would Ron feel ? :'( keep this in consideration
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:32 am

I'm sure Ron has gotten over whatever differences he had with James W. It'd be good to see them all together and who knows maybe they'd do a show or two with dual guitar attack!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 am

I'd love to see some 1971 Stooges material with Ron and James. Metallica are probably going to win as they're crap though. The Stooges should do something similar to the Sex Pistols just tell the HOF to piss off. So in a manner of speaking they would hassel the HOF.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:08 am

i dunno, i dont think they will, i wudnt want them too, i wanna see what they'll do at this, and who will cover their songs!! hope williamsons there that'd'b cool, even if he didnt play

also does anyone know if they show this in UK?
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 pm

The only reason I ever wanted the stooges in was I figured it would be the only chance to see them on stage together. Now that they got back on their own, who really cares? The fact that run dmc, a rap act are a shoe in, and Wanda Jackson will be ignored is enough reason to give it a pass.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 5:19 am

Got my fingers crossed. It would be great to see James. And have Watt at least sitting at a table with them...
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:00 am

Actually looking at the nominees, The Stooges will probley sneak in at # 5 chosen !

PS - What's a rap group doing in the ROCK N' ROLL Hall of fame ? Suicide2
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 pm

PS - What's a rap group doing in the ROCK N' ROLL Hall of fame ?

When did The Stooges become a "Rock n roll" band themselves? They aint playing Elvis, aren't they?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 pm

What's closer to ROCK -- RAP ? or The Stooges ? bom
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:32 pm

Quote :
When did The Stooges become a "Rock n roll" band themselves?

you kiddin? i consider them the greatest rock n roll band ever, yeh i know the stones are that, but the stooges definitly are, amean the 67 - 70 stuff isnt really rock n roll, but 1971 - 1974 stuff is totally rock n roll and that special stooges mix! but yeh i'd consider them the greatest rock n roll band ever, esp since theyre pretty much undefinable

Last edited by homesickjameswilliamson on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Agreed, HSJW !
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 5:44 pm

FUCK Metallica-ca. The Stooges belong in there, period.

And I'd really dig seeing Ron and JW on the same stage. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 6:50 pm

Borntohula wrote:
PS - What's a rap group doing in the ROCK N' ROLL Hall of fame ?

Obviously teaming up with Aerosmith can do wonders.

As much as the HOF is a bit of a farce, The Stooges have to go in this time.
If these 500 so-called experts sit down and think about it for 30-seconds, they'll know it's long overdue.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:26 pm

The Stooges are much more than just rock, or what generally passes for rock. Or is rock'n'roll a different beast than just rock?? Probably. But, in any case I first heard of them as being the forefathers of punk and was amazed when they turned out to be a million times more interesting and imaginative than pretty much all the other punk, and indeed all the other rock, I'd heard. Maybe they're too BIG for the Rock'n'roll Hall of Fame.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm

i hate the term rock, its like classic rock, always makes me cringe for some reason, but i think rock n roll and the image it conjures up is what i'd deem stooges - as you say Nadja, because they are so different from rock or punk or whatever u want to 'name' it, amean they'd hardly call it the punk hall of fame, then have like the salsa hall of fame, i think the ''rock and roll hall of fame'' is just an umbrella title placed over music in general, as in ''music hall of fame'' u'no, but instead of like madonna makin her way in, you'd have like mozart or the asiko rock group i there too, i think its just i dunno pop music or something, just an umbrella term like i say

but anyway, yeh i dunno, amean i think the stooges music is....the stooges music, lol, like scott says ''its just that stooge sound'' no one else can do it, it seems to come from detroit n all, and i dunno, i think they are the greatest rock n roll band ever

oh yeh, sorry, kinda digressed b4 i began, what i was guna mention was that rock n roll is more than just the sound, its the attitude, its the image etc u'no the stones had it down, but its kind of a farce really, amean the stooges are one of, if not the most, authentic bands out there, the most authentic music, its not masquerading as anything despite labellers tryin they're damnest to name it somethin lol, but yeh i think its just this wild primal, soulful music - in a sense you could call it soul or gospel! haha - just sayin!

but its from the heart and soul and minds as iggy said, and i guess its just that
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
i hate the term rock, its like classic rock, always makes me cringe for some reason, but i think rock n roll and the image it conjures up is what i'd deem stooges - as you say Nadja, because they are so different from rock or punk or whatever u want to 'name' it, amean they'd hardly call it the punk hall of fame, then have like the salsa hall of fame, i think the ''rock and roll hall of fame'' is just an umbrella title placed over music in general, as in ''music hall of fame'' u'no, but instead of like madonna makin her way in, you'd have like mozart or the asiko rock group i there too, i think its just i dunno pop music or something, just an umbrella term like i say

I feel the same way about Rock n roll. Ever since bands in the 80s started to piss on the street and letting Ozzy lick it up or doing OD's on heroin and burbon it has been just utter shit.
So called artirts looking like exotic birds dipped into babian asses. And just as James Williams himself has said that no one ever played his songs with punch anywhere near him, the same goes for Ron(Who, at least I, consider can play James' songs quite fine).
29 year old "teenagers" sounding like pigs and playing guitar as bland as they can as they try cover the songs I love. I really do hate it, especially when they say it's something in the lines of Iggy Pop and his Stooges that they play awfully.
The reason why Stooges are great are because of the fact they couldn't play that well but they played clever, made as much as they could out of 2,3 chords. And then comes these idiots that screams like they'v been touched by their n.a.m.b.l.a fathers and does the worst they can with 2 or 3 chords.
Overall, I really don't like labeling music other than rock, funk, pop, jazz, blues, hiphop, soul and electronic. Sure, there is classical and opera and some others, but those aren't of my consern.
Punkrock, rockpunk, rockmetall, hardrock, cockrock blablabla. Fucking A fuck that.

Quite alot of words. That could have been put cut till it says "I don't like terms, like rocknroll or punk, where there are to many asshole bands playing. Therefor I like to think stooges as a mix of jazz, blues and funkband. Amen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 pm

woohooh allright!

if i could write like you people...
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2008 2:46 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Hope to see Stooges w/ Williamson, but -- How would Ron feel ? :'( keep this in consideration

I think he would enjoy the rockin' duel with James Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again   Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock N Roll HOF Nomination...again
Page 1 of 1