Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Easy Action new Stooges

Go down 
+51
comaman
popmansam
regufr
dorianmode
Rode Hard
Blitzkid
sheddy
dtklamf
Rob Gallucci
people
theclarkness
jerrythebarman
Funhousehideaway#2
nick
Aku
mark
Stranger09
ggriffin
effectfreak
Donald
cb
larry fine
citizensmurf
sweet_sixteen
TeddyB1018
neven
trailerborn
Garageman
Loose1969
iggy-fan
Borntohula
Shakes
heavy liquid
TED
Iguanas
napalm_cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
pernil
Nitebob
soldier
Luzern
JW82
the5thramone37
dynamite boogie
Monger
23rd Express
adams66
Nadja
G, F#, E
homesickjameswilliamson
mc
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm

pernil wrote:
It's extremely exciting that the long-lost and pretty much unknown 1971 tunes will finally see the light of day in good quality because they're awesome. And the 1971 band was truly great. The set list was more or less identical over the brief '71 tour (same 6 tunes at every gig, occasionally 5 and sometimes some a cappella lines from "The Shadow of Your Smile"). I think they did add one or two tunes when they previewed their material for Gallucci and Harvey at the Fun House. I cannot understand how they could overlook "You Don't Want My Name", for example, when they reunited in 1972. It's all very exciting!

I concur with Per. This sounds incredible. It gives creedence to my feeling that there must have been other recordings made at the time - but just that such archival material was never disseminated to wider circles. To hear the 1971 version of the band across other shows is something I have waited nearly 22 years for.

Indeed the '71 band was one of the strongest versions of the band imho. The dual guitar work of Asheton/Williamson was a veritable storm of sonic electricity and harmonic mastery that to this day few rock musicians have matched. Also the fact that the Stooges pretty much dumped all of the '71 set and never recorded it (so far as we know) is a great pity - can you imagine how those tunes would have translated in the studio?

I have just been listening to the Bimbo's recording from Jan '74 and the piano work in that is quite astounding, great playing and colouration. There was certainly an avant garde thread to what the Stooges did the whole way through - which is why they sound so fresh to this day - and have excited so many generations of ears. The frenetic energy and chaos that helped shape the music though was also the thing that brought their demise though by Feb '74. Listening to the Bimbo's concert I find there is a kind of a sad resigned quality to it - as if they know things may not go on much longer. It is a similar vibe to the sadness that seems implict in certain moments of the Sept '71 concert in Miami by the MC5. The version of "Looking at You" in particular manifests this to my ears.

This vibe carried on into the 'Kill City' recordings, which in my opinion contains some of Pop/Williamsons finest moments i.e 'No Sense of Crime' - which is a very strong piece of work in its feel and arrangement, albeit bleak as anything.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:14 pm

[quote="23rd Express"]
pernil wrote:
This vibe carried on into the 'Kill City' recordings, which in my opinion contains some of Pop/Williamsons finest moments i.e 'No Sense of Crime' - which is a very strong piece of work in its feel and arrangement, albeit bleak as anything.

I'm glad you mention this song. No-one else ever seems to. I love this song, it's so melancholy, and I love the title too.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Does anyone think the atlanta show will be in the 71 boxset (assuming thats what it is) or a seperate project,and did easy action even get that? id think so,as they likely are more willing to pay a higher royalty to the group as compared to a major..and no major would go out of their way to make such a good looking project,such as the heavy liquid set!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:24 pm

i dont think they'd put a 74 show with a 71 boxset, though they way do it as a separate one disc thing like they did with speed kills, although that was around the same time as the WTFS2 boxset, but i dunno might be like that, you'no and you can get it with the boxset when you buy it, dunno but i dunno why theyd put it in there without some kind of reason or connection
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:28 pm

regardless,id purchase either seperate or together.Easy action seems to be a label worthy of support.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 pm

well said monger, easyaction have my complete suppport, ive bought many things over the years, all the stooges and iggy stuff and the sonics rendezvous boxet which was amazing, so they have my support, and this is above and beyond a 1971 boxset, adn hopefully lots of unseen photos!
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 10:44 pm

This is great news!

nitebob
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Monger wrote:
regardless,id purchase either seperate or together.Easy action seems to be a label worthy of support.

Totally agree, particularly with this 71 box. They're hardly going to make much money on it and no major would have the balls to release something like this. I understand this will only be sold through the EA website and I hope everyone on the Forum will pay for a copy and not upload it to the web. It'll mean EA will hopefully continue to persue those other elusive Stooges gigs we're all after.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:09 pm

I will be purchasing at least 2 sets.I hope EA have a place where we can order in advance so as soon as they are "in stock" they can be sent out.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Monger wrote:
I will be purchasing at least 2 sets.I hope EA have a place where we can order in advance so as soon as they are "in stock" they can be sent out.

That's probably a good idea (getting 2). I'm thinking it might be limited to 1000 like the 77 box - I wouldn't want to lose one, or get it scratched up and not be able to get another.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:24 pm

i got 3 of heavy liquid.One was given as a gift,one is actually being played as i type this,and another is shrink wrapped on the shelf "in case"...i wish i could have afforded an additional funhouse set when it came out,but at the time it was peice of money to me to get one,which i did but skipped lunch for the better part of 2 weeks to get it!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:35 pm

How much do you reackon it will cost? Around the same price as Heavy Liquid? I hope so Smile because I can't afford to buy something priced as highly as "1970: The Complete Fun House Sessions", its one Stooges thing I'll have to do without (which is especially annoying as "Fun House" is my favourite album) Sad
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:40 pm

well you can download the sessions now, and the important thing is the music after all, but it is a nice set

yeh i'd imagine if its ike 4/5/6 discs theyll do the usual £35 - £40 pricetag
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 am

Start stashing some dough away now..if its what its rumored to be,you certainly wont want to miss out on it
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 am

I only plan on getting one. Wink I haven't got much money as it is. hehehe.

SO excited !

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 6:15 pm

How awesome would it be if not only there were a couple of discs with 1971 stuff ("You Don't Want My Name" etc) but also later 1970 stuff that was supposedly jazzier?

I that happens (which is incredibly unlikely) I'll have to worship Easy Action.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

i never even thought about that G, that would unbelivable, late 70 stuff as well, that really would be so cool, steve mackay did say that upper egypt lower egypt and stuff were floating arond werent they, or was he talkin about unganos? well that would be - unlikey - but amazing!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:55 pm

I think we should be happy with what we are getting though Wink wouldn't you agree ?

We'll always want more, but this will def. keep me next to my stereo for a couple weeks nonstop, I'll probley listen to it 100 times a day Wink
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:09 pm

i cant listen to stuff that often, kinda dllutes it or something, for me personally, but yeh ano what you mean, sure we dont even know, well i guess we can guess what wer'er gettin lol but watever they give its sure to be amazing
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:27 pm

I hope that this really does happen and its not just hype! id be pretty bummed out if it were
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 pm

i think we have anough ''rumours'' or sourced rumours, ie people who know of these sorts of things, that we pretty much know its 1971 dates, wonder what the packagings like, and how many CDs and what the photos are like! this is very exciting!
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 am

Hi, Everybody.

I hold Easy Action in extremely high regard, and this all seems like a dream come true for me, but I just can't believe it, not until I hold the discs in my hands. Don't get me wrong, I'm really waiting for this to happen. I've had the Live '71 cd for years, and for me it's virtually unlistenable, despite it's priceless historical value. So if this is a dream, please don't wake me up just yet...
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 am

Add me to the chorus of 'pleeeease be something from '71'. I won't believe it till I have it in my hands. Then I'm breaking out the good scotch.

And whatever happened to the VIDEO of an entire 1970 Chicago(?) concert that supposedly turned up in the estate of Danny Sugerman? It was shot from the audience at a club (not festival) gig, but the audio & video were both deemed good enough at the time for release. Anyone know anything?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:24 am

ive never heard anything about this, but my god i cant believe all the stuff we keep hearing about, hope easyaction or rhino get on the case soon, there seems to still be a lot out there known and unknown
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 pm

trailerborn wrote:
Add me to the chorus of 'pleeeease be something from '71'. I won't believe it till I have it in my hands. Then I'm breaking out the good scotch.

And whatever happened to the VIDEO of an entire 1970 Chicago(?) concert that supposedly turned up in the estate of Danny Sugerman? It was shot from the audience at a club (not festival) gig, but the audio & video were both deemed good enough at the time for release. Anyone know anything?

Could it be the Youtube footage on the "Iggy on VH1" thread - have a look at that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easy Action new Stooges
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next