Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

robert matheu book

Go down 
+30
larry fine
Funhousehideaway#2
trailerborn
sway
Iguanas
totenkopf
saichan
hank67
HoundDog
StoogesFan
TED
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
studioguy
Natalie
Nervousnorvus
cb
ElRoi
dorianmode
Garageman
dtklamf
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
lolakelly
gasman124
mc
Rode Hard
adams66
MJG196
Nadja
dynamite boogie
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

robert matheu book - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:54 am

The book arrived today. Unfortunately the dust jacket was damaged so it'll have to go back, luckily I got it from Amazon and I think they're pretty good with returns.

I've only been through the photos so far, but I think they're really great. Some old classics for sure, but they deserve to be in there, and many really stunning unseen pics. I particularly like Peter Hujar's photos, though my personal fave is Iggy with melted wax all down his front in glorious colour from 1970!

Funny that there's no photo of Iggy doing a backbend 'cos that's the classic Iggy pose. I mean I can't think of any other rock artist that does that.

Yes there's many more photos out there that I know I would have loved to have seen in the book, but I'm also sure this would have caused the production price to skyrocket and the publisher has to make a return on his investment.

Overall I think it's a very balanced book that both appeals to us hardcore fans and newer converts alike. It makes a great companion to Paul T's biography and I'm sure Natalie and Per's upcoming tome.

Thanks Robert.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:59 am

mc wrote:
The book arrived today. Unfortunately the dust jacket was damaged so it'll have to go back, .

one of the reasons why I don't order stuff much..I prefer to pick up what I can see and touch, certainly books. OK, def. Borders time today.
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 pm

Got my copy today. Excellent.
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:53 pm

StoogesFan wrote:
I received my copy of the book today. One word: SUPERB.

It is also stated that the February '74 show started with 'Heavy Liquid'. I was obviously not present at the time, but all previous shows began with 'Raw Power' and there is no reason to believe the final show was any different.

The February '74 show started with 'Wet my bed'.
Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2009 12:09 pm

purchased it today. read every last page today.

thourougly enjoyed it.

was suprised @ the fact that there were indeed pics i had not previously seen. really beautiful stuff.

would recomend it to any stooges fan that doesnt already own a copy.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:00 am

Great book. I'm hoping for an eventual cheaper softcover for gifting/indoctrination purposes.

Random observation:
The Goose Lake pics show a guy holding a video camera in the front row. I know that the Russ Gibb 'Hare Krishna' footage is from this gig, but that was from side-stage. If someone can identify the guy (page 30) as Russ Gibb, then he's sitting on some very cool footage of Dave's last show.

Favorites (so far):
Danny Fields' pics from Max's '73. The entire band (minus Williamson's bizarre haircut) just looked so goddam cool at that point.

The Hujar photos with Zettner. Damn, but Iggy looks grotty in that coat.

The two-page spread of Ron playing guitar in the Funhouse section is the coolest picture of Ron ever. EVER.

The shot of Scott Thurston playing piano next to Ron. First pic where he actually looks totally Stoogey.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:13 am

trailerborn,

I just saw that Amazon is selling the book for $23 and change.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 5:12 am

I know mc had some trouble with his from Amazon, but I bought both of my copies (along with my hard cover copy of Open Up and Bleed) from them and they arrived in pristine condition. Shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard and in a cardboard box. It's a great book and anybody who considers themselves a Stooges fan should get a copy.
*THIS IS NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT
Back to top Go down
HoundDog

HoundDog

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 8:11 am

got mine today, perfect condition, images leap off the fuckin pages. man, it must've been cool to be in that scene. at least we have photos and this forum so i can grasp what it must've been like.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 10:36 am

ElRoi wrote:
I know mc had some trouble with his from Amazon, but I bought both of my copies (along with my hard cover copy of Open Up and Bleed) from them and they arrived in pristine condition. Shrink wrapped to a piece of cardboard and in a cardboard box. It's a great book and anybody who considers themselves a Stooges fan should get a copy.
*THIS IS NOT A PAID ENDORSEMENT

I got a mint replacement within a day, hats off to Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am

trailerborn wrote:
The Goose Lake pics show a guy holding a video camera in the front row. I know that the Russ Gibb 'Hare Krishna' footage is from this gig, but that was from side-stage. If someone can identify the guy (page 30) as Russ Gibb, then he's sitting on some very cool footage of Dave's last show.

fancy seeing that footage..!

can't believe that things are so screwed I haven't managed to get this book yet!
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Nadja wrote:

fancy seeing that footage..!

can't believe that things are so screwed I haven't managed to get this book yet!

Nah. You don''t want to see drunk Dave on the verge of getting fired. You want the footage from the '70 show that is owned by a Chicago collector and only shown in it's entirety at record shows. Lot's of close-ups of Dave and Ron in tight t-shirts looking all sexy n' shit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 7:01 pm

trailerborn wrote:
[ You want the footage from the '70 show that is owned by a Chicago collector and only shown in it's entirety at record shows. Lot's of close-ups of Dave and Ron in tight t-shirts looking all sexy n' shit. Very Happy

Sounds like something I really need to see cheers
Back to top Go down
totenkopf

totenkopf

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 9:00 pm

If you look to the left of Iggy on the large crowd shot, from the 1970 midsummer rock show right by the jar of peanut butter, you can make out a young Stiv Bators, can't miss that nose!! or is it just another urban legend.
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:17 am

Check page 62 of the book with Ron playing guitar.
A young and aspiring Ace Frehley watches in the upper left corner.

Here's a photo from that time frame of pre-Ace.

http://www.kiss-related-recordings.nl/related/acefrehley_molimoband1971.jpg
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:50 am

Then again now it's Joe Walsh. Actually it might be Patti Smith.
Then again it might be me, although I don't remember. Ha.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:56 am

Funhousehideaway#2 wrote:
Then again now it's Joe Walsh. Actually it might be Patti Smith.
Then again it might be me, although I don't remember. Ha.

i noticed that!!!! i dont have my copy in front of me to quote a page #, but i do remember a certain patti look-alike on a certain top left hand corner. i was wondering about that myself.....
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:34 pm

Robert says that Ron used to introduce the band in German for the 73/74 Raw Power gigs. I've never heard this on the live stuff I've got, can anyone validate that this did happen?
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:42 pm

mc wrote:
Robert says that Ron used to introduce the band in German for the 73/74 Raw Power gigs. I've never heard this on the live stuff I've got, can anyone validate that this did happen?
You can hear it during the academy of music performance; you can find it on "Double Danger"
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:49 pm

I can confirm!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Was it every show?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:59 pm

No, it was the last shows I saw. Late 73 and 74.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm

mc wrote:
Was it every show?

I saw 'em a bunch times in L.A. and that never happened.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 8:33 pm

just got the book in the post, exactly what i needed after today

amazing photos, loads ive never seen before, and they're huge images which is great

already have a couple favourites
Back to top Go down
lolakelly

lolakelly

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-03-06

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:00 pm

napalm_cheetah wrote:
mc wrote:
You can hear it during the academy of music performance; you can find it on "Double Danger"

Oh somebody please post an audio snippet of that -I'd love to hear it...

"und jetzt, miene Damen und Herren, die STOOGES! "
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: robert matheu book   robert matheu book - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

robert matheu book
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next