Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

my opinion on the easy action box

Go down 
+39
Loose1969
elvis plebsley
TeddyB1018
Perdu
jerrythebarman
23rd Express
JW82
jneilnyc
scott
berlinberlin
Monger
Lucas
c-deep
G, F#, E
adams66
pernil
Cato
TED
MJG196
Donald
mark
coffeepotman
StoogesFan
citizensmurf
Nitebob
Natalie
homesickjameswilliamson
trailerborn
dumdumboy
tompa67
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Garageman
kaiserken
Rob Gallucci
ElRoi
studioguy
mc
larry fine
Chemmy
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 11:06 pm

coffeepotman wrote:
Been lurking around for awhile, decided to join in! I too can't wait to hear this set on CD. The sound samples seem pretty good to me so far.

Welcome fellow Stooges fan and Dum Dum Boy.
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 8:44 pm

A dum dum boy I am.....life was forever changed with the 1-2 punch of Metallic K.O. and Raw Power!

Got the box today and it is truly excellent! the packaging is so well done and we knew how the sound was from the samples, not that bad! I love it, lets get some more archive releases done like this
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am

I still haven't received this damn thing. EA has so severly dropped the ball on this whole matter I seriously doubt if I will ever purchase anything from them directly ever again.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 3:16 pm

Natalie wrote:
Rob,

There were approximately 100 members. One member from Hong Kong, Sammy, used to reproduce my newsletters and send them to fans who contacted him in his country.

He never did tell me how many he sent out.

Natalie

Is it correct that some Ten Years After fans didn't appreciate your applause for The Stooges? (I think Ron said this somewhere.)
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:55 am

Rob,

I attended one of the Boston shows at the Tea Party. I read that Jimmy Silver, their first manager, said I was the only one applauding and received death threats because of it. Just recently, I saw an interview with Ron saying the same thing.

Once again, the myth perpetrated is much bigger than the reality.

I am not an intimidated person. Even as a teenager, I was fearless. I remember showing my enthusiasm for the music and being in the extreme minority. I never had death threats. Some people around me, gave me strange looks but that was it.

The Natalie of 1969, jumped around and clapped and yelled for the band.

If given the chance, I would do it all over again, exactly the same way.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:42 am

Natalie wrote:

Except you would have that reel to reel recorder.

That is really incredible Natalie. Your belief in and support of the Stooges all those years ago when hardly anyone else gave a shit has kinda made you a historical figure. Did you ever imagine back when you were one of the few, if not the only person who was enlighten enough at that time to get the Stooges, that they would still be kicking ass on stage nearly 40 years later? More over did you think that it would take decades and a totally different generation to finally get what you and a few more of the enlightened understood in the late 60's and early 70's? And even more could you have ever even have fathomed back then that you would be communicating in an instance with people from all over the world and those communications would be about the Stooges? Man, someone needs to make a documentary and interview you and some of the other folks on this forum that actually experienced the Stooges back in the day and today. Actually, you probably could make a pretty damn good doc just about the Stooges fans. It would be far better if the band was involved and it was about the entire Stooges phenomena, but that might be a bit harder to arrange unless a serious director would take interest in it. Jim Jarmusch maybe?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm

I still have nothing. Never again will I buy directly from Easy Action. Never. At this point I am seriously doubting the validity of their claim that all orders were shipped by September 22. I will freely admit that the USPS is one crappy institution when it comes to delivering shit promptly, but these things were supposedly confirmed in the US on Sept. 23 and it still hasn't arrived. Either it's lost or it was not sent on the date claimed. Ultimately, I don't have what I paid for and seriously don't think at this point that I am going to get it. EA can either send me one today via FedEx or UPS with a tracking number or refund my money and I can order one from Amazon and most assuredly have it before the end of the week. Period.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:48 pm

Jeez man... your box set hasn't arrived and you're not happy - we get it! Give it a rest already.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 pm

mark wrote:
Jeez man... your box set hasn't arrived and you're not happy - we get it! Give it a rest already.
Hey, why don't you just package up yours and send it to me. If and when mine ever arrives I'll forward it to you.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Natalie wrote:
Rob,

I attended one of the Boston shows at the Tea Party. I read that Jimmy Silver, their first manager, said I was the only one applauding and received death threats because of it. Just recently, I saw an interview with Ron saying the same thing.

Once again, the myth perpetrated is much bigger than the reality.

I am not an intimidated person. Even as a teenager, I was fearless. I remember showing my enthusiasm for the music and being in the extreme minority. I never had death threats. Some people around me, gave me strange looks but that was it.

The Natalie of 1969, jumped around and clapped and yelled for the band.

More power to you for it Natalie!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 pm

I like the package but it doesn't really match the quality of the recordings. I appreciate that they have been cleaned up but the lack of vocals makes it unlikely I will bother to listen to much of it very often. It is good to be able to hear these songs but apart from I Got A Right they are a bit ordinary. Some nice riffs but not much else going on. Still, that's just my opinion, some of you probably feel differently about them.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 am

I must say, I love the recordings, but the packaging is a tremendous letdown. When I drop $60 on music, I expect the packaging to be top-notch. Right out of the box, there were rips around the inside staples.

As for the music, Easy Action was very up-front about the quality. These recordings are for COMPLETISTS and not for ANY fan looking for a hi-fi musical bonanza. Anyone who complains about the lack of vocals or rough quality didn't pay much attention to EA's caveats.

my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 IMG_9024

my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 IMG_9025
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:20 am

I think the best thing about this is the T Shirts.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 am

Quote :
I think the best thing about this is the T Shirts.

yeh, i wasnt expecting much because it seemed a very simple design, but it turned out great

(unless you were being sarcastic...)

have to agree on the packaging, and those are bad tears mg196, i'll have to post a picture of the tear at the back of mine (its one of those tears as if someone has ripped two pages apart that were glued together) but i dont mind - although for the price, and the wait, you'd think everything would be perfect

still a great product, i wouldve paid £40 for a shitty mp3 of dead body disc 2!
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 9:30 am

My package was perfect, no rips or tears. I think it was an excellent job, I love it.
Back to top Go down
Cato

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:36 am

am i the only one who cant hear iggys vocals. i know its a bootleg but it seems pointless releasing a recording in so lavish a box if you cant even hear the singers voice. even some of the worse fidelity shows on the 'heavy liquid' box have better vocal volume.

A solution of the low vocal on Disc 1 & 2:
Hijack Jim – put him in a studio and force him do overdub the recordings!
But it may be a bit difficult to transcribe the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 pm

I can't hear Igster's vocals on the first 2 discs either, but if there are no vocals on the original tape, there isn't much you can do. I guess the technology exists to remove the vocals from the tracks the vocals are audible and dub them on the instrumental tracks, but I wouldn't want that. And rerecording them now with Iggy would be ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 pm

mg196 wrote:
These recordings are for COMPLETISTS ...

That's exactly why I bought it. That doesn't mean I have to suspend my critical faculties. I get the impression that the worse quality the recordings are, the more Easy Action dress them up in a pretty box and charge through the nose for them.
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 pm

I don't agree that all the 1971 tunes are "ordinary", as someone said on the forum. "You Don't Want My Name" and "Fresh Rag" are truly great, high-energy rock numbers. "YDWMN" has one the Stooges' more memorable melodies and I like how the chord sequence resembles tunes like "Vicious" and "Livin' After Midnight", but being quite unique. Their hard, funky take on "Who Do You Love?" is also first-rate. "Big Time Bum" has its moments, but I get the impression they opened the set with the strongest numbers, then continued w. progressively weaker numbers. The final track (I wonder what the actual title was) leaves the least impression. Just my two-cents, of course. Reading that the JW-version of the reformed band will play some Stooges songs they never released on a studio album (such as "Heavy Liquid" and "Cock In My Pocket"), I hope they examine the 1971 box and revives "You Don't Want My Name"! Per
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Per do you have any contact with Iggy or James ?
You could ask them about " You don't want my name"
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 4:19 pm

I think Per has a very good point about the 1971 set. I also feel that the set begins with the strongest songs and gradually declines. Mind you, any set that opens with "I Got A Right" is going to find it difficult to keep up the energy and quality.

But I think perhaps that I also suffer a bit from 'ear fatigue' with these recordings. I mean that by the end of each gig I'm a little weary from the roughness of the tapes and I'm less inclined to listen charitably - so it's the first few songs that make the best impression.

I'd be very surprised if the band did any of these songs (except "I Got A Right") in the forthcoming gigs, but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong!

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 pm

I really hope that if and when mine ever arrives that it is not in the less than satisfactory condition as some of yours. That would be completely unacceptable after waiting as long as I am having to wait.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:21 am

My personal favourite is "Dead Body", what a riff! Very Happy And though I love the tracks I don't think they're as strong as "The Stooges" or "Fun House". My t-shirt is pretty bad, it's HUGE. It's like I'm wearing a tent.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 pm

I wished I could have a favorite, but I still don't have a box set to have have a favorite thereof.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:59 am

pernil wrote:
I don't agree that all the 1971 tunes are "ordinary", as someone said on the forum. "You Don't Want My Name" and "Fresh Rag" are truly great, high-energy rock numbers. "YDWMN" has one the Stooges' more memorable melodies and I like how the chord sequence resembles tunes like "Vicious" and "Livin' After Midnight", but being quite unique. Their hard, funky take on "Who Do You Love?" is also first-rate. "Big Time Bum" has its moments, but I get the impression they opened the set with the strongest numbers, then continued w. progressively weaker numbers. The final track (I wonder what the actual title was) leaves the least impression. Just my two-cents, of course. Reading that the JW-version of the reformed band will play some Stooges songs they never released on a studio album (such as "Heavy Liquid" and "Cock In My Pocket"), I hope they examine the 1971 box and revives "You Don't Want My Name"! Per

"Ordinary"??!!! No feckin' way!!!!!
I don't agree about the songs getting weaker towards the end of the set either: "Big Time Bum" is a brilliant song to my ears, and "Do You Want My Love?" ends the set on a real high energy note (especially the Disc 1 version that includes Iggy's impersonation of a T Rex 4:20 into the song and the brutal feedback at the end.)
Am I listening to the same boxset as you guys who are "disappointed"? I hear a band with a killer set who really hammer those songs out with a vengeance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my opinion on the easy action box
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next