Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston

Go down 
+13
mc
G, F#, E
stooge
tompa67
popmansam
Natalie
Dark Horse 77
TeddyB1018
citizensmurf
runningfromthepain
MJG196
studioguy
ElRoi
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:16 am

and MJG should you be really offering Stooges stuff for free download that's on legit releases like EA's Heavy Liquid set - especially when you got so uppity when I put up a link to I'm Hungry a little before it came out.

"I like how you justify illegally sharing the music with a bullshit line like, "I think it's fair people get to here some of it in advance, so they can make their decisions on whether to buy or not." Gimme a break. Shouldn't that be Sony making that decision? I wonder what would happen if someone from the record company were to find tracks from a not-yet-released project posted on the #1 Stooges fan gathering place on the Internet. Let's just hope nobody here is a dick and reports you to Sony, which can be contacted on the pre-order page: http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/iggy-and-the-stooges/pages/5458056"

Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 am

ElRoi wrote:
"Can't we all just get along?" Laughing
I just want to hear the music and will go to whatever site I have to in order to download it with great appreciation to whoever provides it.

Ditto

I don't see how a music blog is like a for profit record label, what am I missing here? And if I am missing it I don't care. He's got great downloads.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 am

I'm just being annoying 'cos the guy's a hypocrite.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:26 am

We all have our issues. The material that this thread concerns is not copyrighted, as far as I can tell.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 am

mc wrote:
I'm just being annoying 'cos the guy's a hypocrite.

and MJG should you be really offering Stooges stuff for free download that's on legit releases like EA's Heavy Liquid set - especially when you got so uppity when I put up a link to I'm Hungry a little before it came out.

"I like how you justify illegally sharing the music with a bullshit line like, "I think it's fair people get to here some of it in advance, so they can make their decisions on whether to buy or not." Gimme a break. Shouldn't that be Sony making that decision? I wonder what would happen if someone from the record company were to find tracks from a not-yet-released project posted on the #1 Stooges fan gathering place on the Internet. Let's just hope nobody here is a dick and reports you to Sony, which can be contacted on the pre-order page: http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/iggy-and-the-stooges/pages/5458056"

I am on a first-name basis with the president of EA and notified him about the blog post. It is my understanding EA currently holds the rights to those tracks - and if not, I have been misled and of course I will rectify my error if that's the case. I am guessing you didn't notify Sony you were posting their stuff on here...but I could be guessing wrong. The reason for my uppitiness (your characterization was spot-on) was thoughts of sales impact - to be releasing tracks before they hit the market.

When I get to posting the Iggy/SRB show, I will definitely be giving a shout out not only to EA in recommending the SRB box set, but also to Ken Shimamoto who has a fantastic band history at the i94 Bar online: http://www.i94bar.com/ints/srb1.html Actually, go there right now and read it! He also provided the liner notes to the SRB set.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 am

Sure it is. The Stockholm show is on one of those that Stars Shine box sets. Also sped up.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 am

Chill out girls. MJG has been a regular poster on this forum for years - isn't that support? And surely everyone knows that no one makes any money from any of these blogs or forums. If he's going to the effort of posting interesting stuff I don't see what difference it makes where we have to click in order to get it.

As for the bootleg/official issue, this is all material that orginally came out on bootlegs or those dubious 'grey area' releases on Revenge. Sure some of it is out on the Easy Action set now, but I think it's doubtful that putting these few tracks is going to heart them in any way.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 am

Ego boosts are always nice though.

MJG196 wrote:
[I am on a first-name basis with the president of EA and notified him about the blog post. It is my understanding EA currently holds the rights to those tracks - and if not, I have been misled and of course I will rectify my error if that's the case. I am guessing you didn't notify Sony you were posting their stuff on here...but I could be guessing wrong. The reason for my uppitiness (your characterization was spot-on) was thoughts of sales impact - to be releasing tracks before they hit the market.

When I get to posting the Iggy/SRB show, I will definitely be giving a shout out not only to EA in recommending the SRB box set, but also to Ken Shimamoto who has a fantastic band history at the i94 Bar online: http://www.i94bar.com/ints/srb1.html Actually, go there right now and read it! He also provided the liner notes to the SRB set.

It's on "Where The Faces Shine 1", disc 3 http://easyaction.co.uk/detail/EARS016

It's not very fair on Carlton, the president of EA to go posting downloads he legeally owns the rights to. Easy Action are an independent company, who keep releasing great Stooges material, so support them.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 am

Right On.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:44 am

Oh, I didn't even realize that it was Disc 3 of "Where The Faces Shine 1." I have that set. So, does the version MJG has sound any different than the EA version?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:47 am

ElRoi wrote:
Oh, I didn't even realize that it was Disc 3 of "Where The Faces Shine 1." I have that set. So, does the version MJG has sound any different than the EA version?

The EA release might have cleaned up sound quality, if not I don't think there will be any difference.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:52 am

OK, thanks. Now back to studioguy and his re-mastering of "European Rendezvous 1978."
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:54 am

TeddyB1018 wrote:
Sure it is. The Stockholm show is on one of those that Stars Shine box sets. Also sped up.

That would explain why it can no longer be found on the Dime tracker. OK...a reevaluation is in order.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:57 am

G, F#, E wrote:
It's not very fair on Carlton, the president of EA to go posting downloads he legeally owns the rights to. Easy Action are an independent company, who keep releasing great Stooges material, so support them.

As I said, he was notified about the post and there were no objections. If he said no it would not be there now.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:01 am

So Carlton told you you could post a recording his company owns on your blog rather than buy his product?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 am

G, F#, E wrote:
So Carlton told you you could post a recording his company owns on your blog rather than buy his product?

I didn't stutter, did I? Read the post above your last.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:18 am

ElRoi wrote:
OK, thanks. Now back to studioguy and his re-mastering of "European Rendezvous 1978."

I'll be starting tonight affraid
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 am

Too bad you don't have the original source tapes. The Maxell or TDK or BASF cassette tapes on which those shows were mostlikely recorded. Carlton should try to find the source tapes and release them through EA.
I'm sure whatever you can to improve the existing files will be greatly appreciated by us SRB and Iggy fans.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:37 am

ElRoi wrote:
Too bad you don't have the original source tapes. The Maxell or TDK or BASF cassette tapes on which those shows were mostlikely recorded. I'm sure whatever you can to improve the existing files will be greatly appreciated by us SRB and Iggy fans.

It's going to be rough, the band sounds distant and there's lots of reflections going on. There's probably not to many tape generations (less than 5) at least
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:48 am

If you can just make sure the speed is correct and make any sonic improvements to the overall sound, I and surely many others will be very happy indeed. Believe me, as a Jazz fan I have listened to and thoroughly enjoyed some seriously degraded Charlie Parker recordings. As long as it is at the correct pitch, I can listen to and enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 3:42 am

ElRoi wrote:
As long as it is at the correct pitch, I can listen to and enjoy it.

That is how I feel as well. Funny thing with pitch adjustment is that it's a relatively subjective assessment. You know if it's too fast...you know if it's too slow...but can anyone tell the difference between 2 cents and 3 cents? I have always done this with Lou Reed recordings, and with him, depending on the tour, his pitch could differ greatly. I mean...in 1977 he had his Street Hassle low-talkin' jive goin; on, but by '79 he was super-nasal and high pitched!

Thanks for the efforts.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:21 am

If you know what key the song is supposed to be in and have a good enough ear to distinguish that key, then you should be able to get it pretty close. I assume most people do this by listening to the guitar and adjust the speed until the guitar notes are correct. Am I in the ballpark on this or not?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:29 am

ElRoi wrote:
If you know what key the song is supposed to be in and have a good enough ear to distinguish that key, then you should be able to get it pretty close. I assume most people do this by listening to the guitar and adjust the speed until the guitar notes are correct. Am I in the ballpark on this or not?

I think that's a good way to ballpark it...unless the guitar was outta tune! I am so familiar w/ Lou that I can just trust my ears.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 am

MJG196 wrote:
ElRoi wrote:

I think that's a good way to ballpark it...unless the guitar was outta tune! I am so familiar w/ Lou that I can just trust my ears.

That's the way I'm doing it, hopefully they tuned close to 440 and with a piano they probably are. Disk two was 7% fast and I'm done with that one. I'll get on to Disk one later tonight or tomorrow
Back to top Go down
zenta138

zenta138

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:08 am

Thanks in advance for this. I'm geeked!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston   European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

European Rendezvous 1978-Iggy with SRB and Scott Thurston
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next