Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Easy Action new Stooges

Go down 
+51
comaman
popmansam
regufr
dorianmode
Rode Hard
Blitzkid
sheddy
dtklamf
Rob Gallucci
people
theclarkness
jerrythebarman
Funhousehideaway#2
nick
Aku
mark
Stranger09
ggriffin
effectfreak
Donald
cb
larry fine
citizensmurf
sweet_sixteen
TeddyB1018
neven
trailerborn
Garageman
Loose1969
iggy-fan
Borntohula
Shakes
heavy liquid
TED
Iguanas
napalm_cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
pernil
Nitebob
soldier
Luzern
JW82
the5thramone37
dynamite boogie
Monger
23rd Express
adams66
Nadja
G, F#, E
homesickjameswilliamson
mc
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:57 pm

Quote :
I would love to hear someone remix the Kill City tapes, I love those songs but I never really liked that muddy "Exile on the main street" mix.... (I call it "Exile"...because it sounds like the Rolling Stones "Exile on the main street" to me....I love the Stones, but let's admit, the exile on the mains treet is poorly mixed album, great songs but badly mixed (or badly recorded...thereś not much you can do, if it's been recorded badly, with bad mics)

Ditto here, ie try doing it ourselves first?...there must be some audiophiles amongst us who also respect that too much cleaning up removes atmosphere and have some experience in cleaning up recordings? Enough uploaders on dime etc have such experience, maybe there's someone here? Smile
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Stranger d'you fancy having a go at mixing the "1970" from the Goose Lake video - I've got the wav of it but it sounds tinny I'd really like to hear it bassed up.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:51 am

Stranger09 wrote:
Quote :
- Michigan Palace 740209 (Marc Zermatti's mix, or one of similar/better quality, including all 6 songs and whatever unreleased parts are still in the vaults!)

Without meaning to sound relentless on this issue, or too untrusting, seeing comments like this, and my feeling that EA are great in terms of quantity of Iggy / Stooges releases, but 'boy cried wolf' over promises of quality too often, I feel as a group we need to offer our services and start cleaning things up ourselves! Smile
Well, I guess in the case of that particular show, we could put together a some kind of homemade edition using bits from Skydog's '80s Metallic 2xKO CD, Revenge's Gimme Danger and Skydog's I Got Nothing, using the recent Jungle reissue as a reference for the speed correction. But that would obviously be a poor second to having access to the unedited master tapes and whatever unissued stuff might be on there.
Quote :
I do actually have cool edit pro which I know for a fact is good...I've just not used it alone yet, I used it with a guy who mixes for a living and was given it by another guy, a dj who was also involved in certain 'underground' releases.
Yep, there's no end of good audio software out there, and CoolEdit/Audition is well regarded. It's not just a matter of having the software though, it's a matter of having both a good command of said software and a sufficently experienced ear to know what to do with this stuff. And more to the point, it's a matter of having the source material. Obviously we can't remix Kill City cos we don't, and never will, have the multitracks. Personally I'd rather have the long-lost 1975 mix anyway - judging by what we have from that version (title track/Johanna/Consolation Prizes) it's a cracker.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 3:27 am

Fair comments, but with Cool Edit Pro you can get good results without master tapes - I have directly witnessed this on more than one occasion.

It is true that having a good command of the software helps, which I don't have at this point.

I'm very much suggesting others could do such things, not out of laziness but because I have noticed the increase of 'home engineers' over recent years.

By the way I did feel a bit of an arshole continually banging on about the Easy Action releases' audio problems, but every time I think have I been too harsh, I remember my reactions to hearing some of the travesties, so I stand by what I've said Smile

Last edited by Stranger09 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi, I use cool edit/Audition 3.0 . too
but look at the "where are the Kill City master tapes.." thread, there
is no real stereo information on the tracks, so you can't really extract
the vocals for example
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Fair comment, however the engineer I worked with could do wonders with just bootleg tapes! He has been an audio engineer for a good thirty years though, and he's another guy who's more into Bowie than Iggy, as well as being extremely busy.

Where there's a will there's a way though, I'm sure some of the material suitable for release could be sourced and/or mixed well by an Iggy fan somewhere!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 pm

mc wrote:
Stranger d'you fancy having a go at mixing the "1970" from the Goose Lake video - I've got the wav of it but it sounds tinny I'd really like to hear it bassed up.

Problem with that video is though is as we all know Dave forgot almost all his bass parts so it'd be pretty hard if near impossible to do.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:21 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
mc wrote:

Problem with that video is though is as we all know Dave forgot almost all his bass parts so it'd be pretty hard if near impossible to do.

don't rub it in G!! Laughing

of course you have a sound point though...!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Nadja wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
mc wrote:

don't rub it in G!! Laughing

of course you have a sound point though...!

Hey, you know I love Dave to. Smile The idea of Iggy firing someone for substance abuse and being out of his head while playing a gig is something I've always found quite funny. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm

[quote="G, F#, E"][quote="Nadja"]
G, F#, E wrote:
[
Hey, you know I love Dave to. Smile The idea of Iggy firing someone for substance abuse and being out of his head while playing a gig is something I've always found quite funny. Laughing

yeh - it is! Dave must've been REAL bad!!!!!!!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 7:59 pm

hadn't thought of that (dave's freaking = no bass)!
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 8:25 pm

May not be the end of the world, could apply more bass sound to the guitar?

It wouldn't sound perfect, but for a nearly 40 year old filmclip lasting a few minutes, with a little 'processing' it could be made to sound more acceptable.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Stranger09 wrote:
May not be the end of the world, could apply more bass sound to the guitar?

It wouldn't sound perfect, but for a nearly 40 year old filmclip lasting a few minutes, with a little 'processing' it could be made to sound more acceptable.

So shall I upload to rapidshare and post a link? I tried to boost the bass and equalize the sound levels in Audacity but I'm sure you can do better than me.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:18 pm

I feel bad now....as I keep pointing out, I genunely feel there are others, someone here must be reading / lurking who has the ability to do this.

I say that as on other forums I use and download sites I notice more and more people who seem to have such experience.

Me...I have the tool but not used it yet. I'm planning to finally start in a week or so's time when I've done some clearing out on the pc I'm using.

I've only used Cool Edit Pro myself in helping an audio engineer I know, and it's been a while. I have been given an old edition by another guy who used it for radio and mixing as far as I gather.

If you don't mind waiting a while I could have a go in 2-3 weeks time...I don't like giving guarantees on things I'm not sure I can deliver on.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 10:49 pm

no problem, whenever you're ready. I was just thinking it's one of the stooges best, nice and short and could do with a bit of a remix.

Does anyone else use Audacity, how does it rate compared to the pro/payfor sound programs?
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 pm

I've read people use Audacity to speed up or slow down recordings, but they don't use it to mix. I agree, I've recorded myself a little and Audacity was shit for remixing a track, I ended up putting it into mono to get rid of the distortion on a recording, it couldn't reduce it anything like Cool Edit Pro would've done...again speaking as a beginner. I spent enough hours sitting with an engineer to see what can be done with Cool Edit even though I would not be confident and competent enough to do it alone myself.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:45 pm

I can try to clean up the track MC. Add the link, i'll see what I can do. I record full songs (Guitar,bass,drums,vocals) all by my self, and do the parts myself, and have much high quality programs for these type of things, so i'm sure I can make it at least decent. Add a link, and give me a day or 2.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Excellent.

You could overdub Dave's bass part while you're at it! Smile

sorry just joshing! Smile
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 12:01 am

Actually not a bad idea, I will make myself a personal version w/ a bass track dubbed in, since I doubt anyone here would want to hear it Wink Cheers !
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 12:23 am

Here ya go JLTS - I'd like to hear a version with you on bass, how's Johanna coming by the way SmileSmile Note: This file is quite large - 25megs (WAV)

http://rapidshare.com/files/211955165/The_Stooges_-_I_Feel_Alright__Goose_Lake_1970_.wav
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:22 am

Actually I did wonder about the bass part thing....it would be hard to hide the fact its overdubbed...but then in this day and age with the technology we have at our disposal, well it's *possible*... Smile

could have a bassless version for the purists and the bass version for everyone else maybe

Smile
Back to top Go down
nick

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 3:43 am

Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:20 am

Wait a minute... there is an uproar all over this site about Iggy calling his band The Stooges if they continue without Ron and James Williamson rejoins as the guitarist, but now there are plans to add bass parts to a Stooges live bootleg and not only does no one care but people are signing up for copies? I mean, what one chooses to do in the privacy of one's own home with someone else's art is a personal choice and I suppose anything goes. When it begins to be distributed via the interweb and soon starts spreading around the world like a virus (as these things do) it becomes, to my mind, a wholly other thing. Maybe I'll add a flute break to Search and Destroy or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir harmonizing to Dirt.

It doesn't feel appropriate to me. It ain't the end of the world, for sure, but it is skating on thin ice with someone else's art. I'm just saying...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 6:25 am

Quote :
Maybe I'll add a flute break to Search and Destroy or the Mormon Tabernacle Choir harmonizing to Dirt.

...couldnt hurt lol

nah, i get your point larry, but i think someone adding a bass to get a better sound off an old recording is alot smaller than the stooges namechanges and lineup changes

in saying that i'll listen to it as a project, but dave's bass is dave's bass, adn thats what i want to listen to
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 22, 2009 7:47 am

Or maybe we could change the original through our own interpretation and hand it out for free, who needs a record store?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easy Action new Stooges   Easy Action new Stooges - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easy Action new Stooges
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next