Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ron Asheton and James Williamson

Go down 
+28
adams66
woody
studioguy
mg9011
dorianmode
Donald
Arganius
Detoilet
MJG196
Paul T
G, F#, E
Lee de Parade
the5thramone37
Angusyd van Hyman
Borntohula
mc
albeyourmirror
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
bobyoung
eusebioneto
JW82
sheddy
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
sickness
Nadja
32 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Ron Asheton and James Williamson Empty
PostSubject: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:01 pm

Before anyone gets the wrong idea Shocked I don't mean to set this up as a sort of contest, but it's interesting to compare these two guitarists - they're so different! I guess Williamson is generally regarded as being more gifted technicially but Asheton gets a superior sound, which, for me, is the greater talent. Williamson's got plenty fire and energy too of course and I especially like his more blues-y stuff, like on 'I Need Somebody' and, even more, 'Pinpoint Eyes', which is just terrific. But a lot of the time - certainly on Raw Power - he sounds like a fairly conventional hard-rock guitarist, all thrash and trebly, spiky solos, whereas Asheton's playing is so much more fluid and so rhythmic. Overall, Asheton just has more of an impact - such an incredibly full sound. That's my opinion, and maybe I hold Asheton's guitar-playing in too much reverence, but also I chanced to hear Asheton's playing long before I ever heard Williamson's, so Asheton set the standard for me. Williamson is still a great player of course (or was!!!) but I prefer Asheton because he just sounds so unique.
any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
sickness

sickness

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 10:27 pm

i think williamson have a Powerfull song. you can see his job on raw power, like a pounch. never see something like that. i like his style a lot. so far from that time.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 2:44 am

"he sounds like a fairly conventional hard-rock guitarist"

i like ron asheton too and i prefer him over williamson as a guitarist (though i want to play like williamson), btu i think you may have to listen to raw power again!

The reason Raw Power is Raw Power is cause (as is all stooges music) it sounds nothing like anything before or after it, williamsons force is his sound, and its somethin even trying disciples cant match, asheton is a tremendous guitarist also, and is more poetic, as iggy puts it, but williamson is just as good, and as you said, you cant compare them
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm

hsjw, it's interesting that you prefer ron asheton as a guitarist but want to play like williamson Question
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 10:40 pm

Nadja wrote:
hsjw, it's interesting that you prefer ron asheton as a guitarist but want to play like williamson Question

Aye, well i dunno, i suppose its not that weird, do you play guitar urself? i think it takes a guitarists head to appreciate the difference, i think it also stems from my love of the stones, i wanna play like richards, and i want that deathtrippy edge that the stooges have, hence williamson
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 7:50 am

I'm more of a Ron fan, but I also appreciate what James did for the band too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Nadja wrote:

Aye, well i dunno, i suppose its not that weird, do you play guitar urself? i think it takes a guitarists head to appreciate the difference, i think it also stems from my love of the stones, i wanna play like richards, and i want that deathtrippy edge that the stooges have, hence williamson

surely that means you DO prefer williamson? anyway I don't play guitar, I can only worship from afar. I took violin lessons when I was very young and no one ever advised me to try guitar instead. I wish they had, cos then my whole life could've been magically different ... Sad
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 9:06 pm

I can see how you'd think that, but i personally would rather play like williamson, but i prefer to listen to ron, i love the way he plays, tho i wouldnt like to play like that (well i do, but williamson's richards' style is more accessible)
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm

do you kinda mean that's it's pretty near impossible to copy Ron? sorry to drag this out, but as a non-guitarist myself I'd really be interested to know, because I always get the feeling that Ron's playing is really unique (like I said at the beginning of this thread)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Yeh, its that uniqueness that i love, but wouldnt want to copy into my own style of music, and i dont think i could, its just a personal opinion, sorry if i dont seem to make sense but, i love the stooges, and ron's style specifically, but in the music i make i want to sound like williamson
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 2:31 am

Ron is more inventive in my opinion. However, both him and James are very original. You can hear the influences slightly, but they're obviously not copying. That's a key reason why they're both great!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 2:49 am

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Ron is more inventive in my opinion. However, both him and James are very original. You can hear the influences slightly, but they're obviously not copying. That's a key reason why they're both great!

exactly
Back to top Go down
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 am

I'm more of a Asheton fan simply because he had such a distinct groove to his playing. James Williamson's playing on Raw Power is def more punk than Asheton on Fun House, but Asheton had a better groove. However, both guitarists are on my "favorite guitarists of all time" list.
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Overall, I prefer Asheton, but some of my favourite Stooges tracks are I Gotta Right, Sick of You, and Gimme Some Skin with Williamson.

Last edited by on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 12:32 am

Some people say that The Skull was more accomplished musician than Ron. Even if, both of them kick ass. Their playing influenced various guitarists and styles. That's the point Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 11:04 pm

sheddy wrote:
Overall, I prefer Asheton, but some of my favourite Stooges tracks are I Gotta Right, Sick u and of You, an Gimme Some Skin with Williamson.

'Gimme some Skin' - great guitar work, 'Scene of the Crime' and 'Open up and Bleed' two of the best riffs ever, esp 'Bleed' - so compelling. And 'Pinpoint Eyes' - very expressive. Also great stuff by Williamson on the 'Raw Power' album of course
Having said all that, I still prefer Ron Asheton's guitar-playing to everything else.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 3:48 am

Ron Asheton is a more basic three chord punk guitarist, but he on Funhouse did a great job on guitar and made his guitars really "scream like street whores" (1001 albums you must hear before you die).

james Williamson is really a punch guitar, a guy who explored every tone his Vox Ac30 and his Gibson Les Paul Custom could give him. He created a guitar never seen before, and wich was, alongside with Ron Asheton's guitar playing, a big influence on punk.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 4:09 am

eusebioneto wrote:
Ron Asheton is a more basic three chord punk guitarist, but he on Funhouse did a great job on guitar and made his guitars really "scream like street whores" (1001 albums you must hear before you die).

james Williamson is really a punch guitar, a guy who explored every tone his Vox Ac30 and his Gibson Les Paul Custom could give him. He created a guitar never seen before, and wich was, alongside with Ron Asheton's guitar playing, a big influence on punk.

fuckin A', man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:14 pm

As I said at the beginning of this thread I didn't mean to set this up as a contest, but I have to admit that even after allowing Williamson, and every other guitarist in all of history, their due, I always come back to my absolutely unchangeable opinion that Ron created the greatest sound ever heard, not to mention the most incredible grooves. That's enough for me! (Okay, that's an opinion) And it's really because of his playing, far more than anything else, that I got so deeply into this whole Stooges thing, I'll admit that too. Maybe I'm a bit obsessive on this point, but I don't care. The whole point of a forum like this is to express your deepest feelings about music and stuff I guess! (otherwise what's the point)
There ... I've had my rant

Last edited by on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 6:17 pm

Nadja wrote:
Ron created the greatest sound ever heard, not to mention the most incredible grooves

yeh, ron's my favourite stooges guitarist as well, though alot of the 'grooves' came from dave, they gotta a bass riff from him and worked around that, iggy wrote down on the street, ron wrote T.V. Eye. and Loose i think and dave came up with the bass/base riffs for dirt, funhouse and maybe 1970 i think, not too sure about that one
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 6:57 pm

In my humble opinion, the best Stooges material is with Ron on guitar and Dave on bass. GROOVE is right on the money.

And of course, let's not forget this guy...
<===========

Of course I love ALL Stooges music. But the Ron/Dave stuff to me is the best.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Yeh definitly, ron n dave ... and scott .... and iggy....lol, i love the orginal lineup so much
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 8:53 pm

If there is any one JW version Stooges song that stands out to me though, it's gotta be "Sick Of You". Goddamn, that ice-pick guitar on that just floors me. That's by far my favorite Williamson-era song. Fuuuuuuccckkkkkk......
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Oh yeh, thats a fuckin amazing song!!, i love that I Got a Right and Gimme Some Skin, those 3 could go head to head with any funhouse era stooges
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 10:51 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Nadja wrote:
Ron created the greatest sound ever heard, not to mention the most incredible grooves

yeh, ron's my favourite stooges guitarist as well, though alot of the 'grooves' came from dave, they gotta a bass riff from him and worked around that, iggy wrote down on the street, ron wrote T.V. Eye. and Loose i think and dave came up with the bass/base riffs for dirt, funhouse and maybe 1970 i think, not too sure about that one

yeah well Ron's ability to get into the groove first created by Dave is just incredible. But it's OK, I'm not going to start raving again about Ron, OR Dave (as I've done elsewhere) - I've had a lie-down in a dark room! But the 1970 riff - I'm not sure about who came up with that one either

and, Loose, rest assured that I fully appreciate Scott Asheton's contribution in all of this!cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ron Asheton and James Williamson
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next