Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ron Asheton and James Williamson

Go down 
+28
adams66
woody
studioguy
mg9011
dorianmode
Donald
Arganius
Detoilet
MJG196
Paul T
G, F#, E
Lee de Parade
the5thramone37
Angusyd van Hyman
Borntohula
mc
albeyourmirror
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
bobyoung
eusebioneto
JW82
sheddy
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
sickness
Nadja
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 2:45 am

Whats the CD sounds really really interesting!! Morrison's cool, i have a loada stuff him and jimi did ''morrisons lament'' etc, is it a bootleg or officially released?
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm

It is a bootleg. Johnny Winter is said to have performed with Jimi that evening too. Oh and I meant that Morrison is just really drunk Smile I didn't say he's not cool Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:19 pm

yeh, i didnt mean to infer that you didnt think he was cool, i was just stating it myself, lol, but whats the bootleg called, can you upload it to rapidshare or one of those things?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Mine's a Japanese CD with OBI called "Super Sessions" or something like that (I'll check when I get home), this version appears to be legit. It has been booted numerous times though. The sound quality on mine is pretty good whereas I've heard lots of people saying it's crap on their boots so maybe the Japanese have sourced a 1st gen tape or a new source entirely.

Jonny Winter does not play on this despite of what it says on the cover.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 6:56 pm

mc wrote:
True, both Ron and Jimi were innovators but in the spirit of minimalism Ron plays without all the wankery and ego of many guitarists and produces a far greater sound for it.

mc, that's one of the best and most accurate descriptions of Ron's playing that I ever came across. Cheers! cheers

and no doubt this'll sound corny, but really Ron gets into the spirit of the music, you can hear that, instead of letting his ego get in the way, as you say. Sadly a lot of guitarists do let their ego get in the way.... Just those goddam show-offy solos and stuff. I used to be a sucker for a fancy solo and a good tune, now what matter to me most is groove and just pure sound.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 11:59 pm

mc wrote:
Johnny Winter does not play on this despite of what it says on the cover.

Yeah, that's what I've also heard and that's quite weird..because you can hear second guitar playing..except Jimi's Smile
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 12:05 am

Must be someone else. Johnny Winter was asked about this gig and he said he's never met Jim Morrison and would surely remember playing with him.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 12:07 am

mc wrote:
Must be someone else. Johnny Winter was asked about this gig and he said he's never met Jim Morrison and would surely remember playing with him.

I also remember while reading that. But still have no damn clue who did Jimi play with that evening.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Bobyoung: I'm a musician too. But I don't use that to add to how I think personaly about things.
That's just shit.

Outside that box. The thing you speak of as band parody is outworldy, I don't even know how you came to put the band together with such words.
I'v never seen a band puzzle together blues, funk and jazz in such manner as the Stooges.
Friends I have who says their hardcore when it comes to the music to sound complex(They either listening to speedy metal or unforgivenly played jazz on guitar) get stuck in their thinking listening to Funhouse.
How a such simple album can sound so much, in so many ways.

Raw power is a really good album. One of the best there is. But while listening to Funhouse, it sometimes feels like nothing.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Borntohula, I'd be interested to know what you think about the Stooges' debut album too! Very Happy
I know 'Funhouse' is just incredible but I always feel that the only thing that's even more incredible is that first album.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 11:30 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
but as i also stated james used his pinky always. -- watch Ron, he never uses it (even today) on a lead.

How do you know that? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 11:56 pm

looks like this discussion might go all 'technical' once more! Smile
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 12:09 am

lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 pm

As I'm FOREVER pondering this issue, I've just thought of a possible reason why Ron's guitar sounds so good, especially on those first two albums. Maybe it was literally alive! Very Happy
A real living, breathing guitar, that just LOVED to pour out sound...
I reckon that's a good an explanation as any.
OK, now back to serious debate ...
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Naw, it wasn't a living guitar. It was how Ron MADE it come alive.

AND STILL DOES. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Loose1969 wrote:

well it amounts to the same thing in the end, probably!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Nadja wrote:
Loose1969 wrote:

well it amounts to the same thing in the end, probably!

Can't argue with that. Well put. Smile
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:42 am

Loose1969 wrote:

AND STILL DOES. Very Happy

Yeah...Ron must be sort of a equivalent of a native healer, when it comes to guitar Smile For example African medicine men or shamans treat people with their powers...Ron also does the same thing to every guitar he holds! LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:52 am

he certainly does SOMEthing to every guitar he holds (which no-one else seems to manage, IMO)
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 7:49 pm

I'd sure like to have that kind of power over MY guitars...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 pm

Id sure love to be able to PLAY a guitar!
what's that they say about never being too old to learn....?
however they ALSO say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
In any case, I'd like to have Ron Asheton teach me (DREAM ON!!)
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Nadja wrote:
Id sure love to be able to PLAY a guitar!
what's that they say about never being too old to learn....?
however they ALSO say you can't teach an old dog new tricks!
In any case, I'd like to have Ron Asheton teach me (DREAM ON!!)

It's never too late! Very Happy

Speakin' of dreaming, why don't I grab Ron and we'll head over to your neck of the woods for a few lessons/jams? I always wanted to see Scotland anyway. Wink
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:23 pm

yeah, both of you'd get a big welcome at my place. So, call him up ...
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Oh RON............

Laughing

How I wish!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 10:29 am

wonder if he ever reads this board, haha ...

but, just to get a bit maudlin, I don't just admire his guitar-playing, I also enjoy his interviews, he seems to be a born raconteur, and I just like the sense of individualism I get from him, he always seems to do things his own way, the way he's kept plugging away over the decades, just going on doing his thing even tho it was scarcely profitable for him to do so, and all. Of course this present-day revival with The Stooges is the very least he deserves - him and his brother, both! Altho, as I've remarked elsewhere, people still generally DON'T appear to understand, really, what this band is all about.
OK, this particular spate of hero-worship is over! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ron Asheton and James Williamson   Ron Asheton and James Williamson - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ron Asheton and James Williamson
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next