Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

STOOGES Albums TOP 5

Go down 
+27
dorianmode
elvis plebsley
Luzern
jpod
soldier
the science eel
Big Time Bum
nofun84
Paul T
TED
JW82
Loose1969
Lucas
Donald
pernil
Nadja
Borntohula
MJG196
sheddy
Muddslide
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
mc
Gimme some skin
Chemmy
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
G, F#, E
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:50 pm

this is the one im thinkin of Loose/JLTS, dunno when its from, probly 69, but i thought it mightve been 68

are there really none fro 68? live i mean?

STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Stooges-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 6:03 pm

that pic's Saugatuck Festival 69.
There 'r live pic's from '68..The Ballroom ones in September '68
that r the ones with the curly 'perm' hair and weird hippie pants.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 6:24 pm

oh yeh ur rite! yeh knew there were some 68 ones (which i love, danny fields curled the hair didnt he?)

eh, thanks zin, i thought that was from 69
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 5:50 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
I'm pretty annoyed they're even playing "Search And Destroy" to be honest.

Shocked WHAT?!? Dude, you gotta be kidding Very Happy I know that maybe for some people (as it was discussed over and over here) it's kinda weird Ron playing James' songs. But sincerely speaking, this is another one of their most famous tracks. They did it for US Smile I was quite surprised with their choice of 'I Got A Right' - but my surprise was more of a delight Very Happy I think it's incredible they added both songs. And I'd LOVE to see them again, with that setlist Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 6:30 pm

If Ron had chosen to do "Search And Destroy" I would have been fine with it but it appears that Iggy has nagged him for a good few years to do it till he gave in. I love Williamson's stuff to but for me 'Iggy And The Stooges' and 'The Stooges' are two different bands.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 7:16 pm

i used to think that, but i dunno, amean, i think its a bit, i dunno what the word is like bias or something, or defeatist almost, i dunno, if i think of the word ill correct it, but its seems ppl like to just jump onto one side and stay there, and its all up to preferenace and stuff obviously, alot of ppl cant really take the 'raw power' of raw power u'no, but i dunno, i just feel its all one thing, they are one band, and granted ron hated it, the raw power days, but he had a lot to do with that sound u'no, maybe it wasnt his first choice instrument but my god he fuckin rocked the bass! lol

i dunno, amean apart from the sound that came out,w hich was more structured,if u want to put it ''commericial'' rock i dunno, but it was the same ethos and stuff, maybe a bit darker, tho funhouse has its share of dark!

but i dunno, amean i dont see them as two bands, i used to and i stopped listenin to raw power, not intentionally or anythin, just natrally gravitated towards the rest

but then i started seein them as like three bands or four or something 68 - 70, 71, 72, 73-74

then back again to two bands, lol

but now it see them as one band, the stooges, same power same creativiity, same detroit kinda sound

so i dont think u can just lock out raw power, its equally as good as funhouse and stooges

- again just speaking about my view of u'no
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
If Ron had chosen to do "Search And Destroy" I would have been fine with it but it appears that Iggy has nagged him for a good few years to do it till he gave in. I love Williamson's stuff to but for me 'Iggy And The Stooges' and 'The Stooges' are two different bands.

I try to persuade myself otherwise, but I still instinctively agree with all of this. Because, dammit, it's true.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
alot of ppl cant really take the 'raw power' of raw power u'no,

don't know what you mean by that (I've got a lot of time to ponder this, obviously Laughing ) but the sound, the guitar-playing style was very different, just not as BEGUILING as on the first two records, more of a straightforward aural assault, less layered and lyrical, maybe it was more powerful or more emotional or something for some people, I don't know, or maybe I myself just don't like trebly solos or something Laughing but yes RP was a more 'structured' and 'commercial' sounding album - and as such diminished my interest, personally. I should find a quote about these three albums by Iggy himself, when he was once asked in a newspaper interview which was his personal favourite out of the three (yes lame question I know). His reply was something like, 'for me the first one is the most amazing. the other two, I can fathom those particular little beasts, but the first one was just groundbreaking...' something like that. I'll have to find the exact quote

Last edited by Nadja on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 10:14 pm

yeh find the quote, sounds interesting, and he's correct the first one is, amean funhouse and raw power are stooges, u'no thats their sound kinda thing, but the first album is just out there its so primal so raw and earthy or something, but strangely like alien or aomething, its a tremendous album

um what i meant by that statement is just that some ppl dont like, as u say the treblely solos, the mixes, the riffs, the songs themselves, i dunno, its just like a personal preference thing i was sayin u'no
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 10:25 pm

well that first album was made by The Stooges, that WAS their sound to start off with. of course they also had the best producer in Cale, who goes for sound over virtuosity. My kind of man!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Cale was great. I love that story of how The Stooges refused to record till Cale let them turn all amps up to 10 !! HAHAH. Cale agreed to let them do em on 9 right ? lol.

Cheers ! Wink
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Last edited by Nadja on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 12:35 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Cale was great. I love that story of how The Stooges refused to record till Cale let them turn all amps up to 10 !! HAHAH. Cale agreed to let them do em on 9 right ? lol.

Cheers ! Wink

No thats turned out to be a lie Laughing

The Stooges had a strike because Cale wouldn't let them have beer in the studio though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 am

What ? ? It was a LIE ? I thought this was in open up and bleed ????
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 5:30 am

What ? ? It was a LIE ? I thought this was in open up and bleed ????

Ron himself confirmed that the amp volume was an issue in Guitar World last year. No lie at all. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 6:05 pm

Ah yes, I have that mag too ! THAT'S where I read it Wink

Thanks Loose !
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Ah yes, I have that mag too ! THAT'S where I read it Wink

Thanks Loose !

Nope, in a very recent issue of Uncut (I think it was anyway) Cale denied this claim, I think Ron did too.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Maybe Ron changed his mind? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 6:15 pm

ROn told me it was no big deal, but that they did sit down and start smoking hash... it was really just the band being sullen and awkward, the engineer complained a bit, Cale told them to turn from 10 to 9 so they didn't get loads of spill.

Remember Cale understood loud rock'n'rolll - after all, he recorded Sister Ray, where the needles didn't get out of the red for the whole song.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Cale seems to understand the beauty of sound. I'd certainly want him as my producer.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm

Have you heard the original mix by Cale?! Its dreadful!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 8:22 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Have you heard the original mix by Cale?! Its dreadful!

Yup. But he did alright producing the 'final' version. there's absolutely no way it could have been bettered.
Back to top Go down
nofun84

nofun84

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 2:41 am

Gotta admit, although I really enjoy the songs on the first album on an individual basis, the arrangement of the tracks has always struck me as a little uneven...Cale's great at sound, but I've never been very impressed with the overall flow of the album (especially when compared to Raw Power and particularly Fun House, which is quite possibly the most perfectly-mixed album I've heard)...

*ducks stones Smile*
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 3:49 pm

I think the first album works all the better for any seeming imperfections...it has this positively sludgy quality at times, which just sucks me in all the more. Like on 'Not Right' for instance, with its muddy, murky, grinding, squalling shuddering 'solo'...the very ESSENCE of sound....Even Funhouse, dare I say it, sounds almost too clean in comparison. But, just to make it quite clear, I'm saying absolutely NOTHING against Funhouse. It's inferior ONLY to the first album, for me, and not by much.
Back to top Go down
nofun84

nofun84

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:47 am

That's true, the unevenness definitely does fit the mood of the first album pretty brilliantly. I guess what I like about Fun House is the weird contrast between Iggy's utter chaos and the perfection of the overall effect...sort of eerie, really...haven't found anything quite like it. Anyway, two great albums!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STOOGES Albums TOP 5
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next