Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

STOOGES Albums TOP 5

Go down 
+27
dorianmode
elvis plebsley
Luzern
jpod
soldier
the science eel
Big Time Bum
nofun84
Paul T
TED
JW82
Loose1969
Lucas
Donald
pernil
Nadja
Borntohula
MJG196
sheddy
Muddslide
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
mc
Gimme some skin
Chemmy
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
G, F#, E
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemmy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-10

STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm

ZinZin wrote:
HJW yes! this is an impossible thread!
hmm ...heavy liquid boxset: smart move!
should have put that one myself in stead of the '72 sessions
- don't have the set yet though.
Shakes....The Weirdness on 5 cheers

Chemmy! Funhouse on 5...what's the matter with ya?! Wink

Question for everybody:
Rawpower > Bowie or Iggy mix?

im a sucker for james williamson... and i have to put 'the stooges' before it because it was the first album by them i bought and holds alot of memories..... no way am i disrespecting the fun house!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 pm

about this punk thing...I used to rush out and buy everything that could be labelled even vaguely as 'punk', but I don't think it's a particularly useful label any more. ok back to the current, incendiary topic!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
I love Raw Power !

But, I get more of a reaction when listening to the first 2 album's. ( The first album the most, especially because of the raw distorted guitar sound I LOVE !)

just noticed this - I'm so much in agreement I simply have to mention it cheers
Back to top Go down
Muddslide

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 6:12 am

G, F#, E wrote:

on "Raw Power" there are two tracks I don't like as much. They are "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" and "Death Trip".

For me, these are also the two weakest tracks on the album. That doesn't mean I don't love them...they're just my two least fave tracks. (I love "Shake Appeal")

Quote :
For me personally even for all its crazed sound I feel that "Fun House" is more violent, crazed and just plain scary.

Amen, brother. I think the deal with Funhouse that makes it so over-the-top vital, bloodcurdling and exciting is that is was basically recorded live with everything bleeding into everything else. They kept that raw stage energy. Plus, Iggy was supposedly dosed every day of recording it. Even back then, what they did in recording that album was antithetical to most everything people thought of as normal recording technique.

Plus, even though I don't usually care for horns in my rock and roll, Steve Mackay is just such an integral part of the record. His sax adds a whole other layer of wildness.

Also (though I'd say the same for Stooges and Raw Power as well), Funhouse has such dynamics. Right in the midst of all this sheer noise-soul energy you have this lurking, sinister cut like "Dirt." I mean, The Stooges are their own universe, but even within that universe, Funhouse is just a singular document. Nothing else really like it in sound or scope or unique energy.

As to the "Are The Stooges punk?" question, I'd have to say (as many others have) that they were precursors. In my opinion, they wrote the playbook. I believe they prefigured not only punk, but stoner/doom metal. The only other band that I can think of that you could say that about is Blue Cheer on their first album, but while I love Blue Cheer, they still ain't no Stooges no way no how.

But I think it's inescapable that they were what you might call "proto-punk" or "ur-punk."
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Fun House
The Stooges
Telluric Chaos
Raw Power (either mix has its moments)
The Weirdness
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Muddslide wrote:
[ The only other band that I can think of that you could say that about is Blue Cheer on their first album, but while I love Blue Cheer, they still ain't no Stooges no way no how.

."

WOW a mention of Blue Cheer!! Shocked
No-one's EVER mentioned them here (except me Laughing ) , but Leigh Stephen's guitar on their first two albums is one of the VERY few that has almost the same impact on me as Ron Asheton's. Any more opinions on them Muddslide? (maybe on another thread)
of course I'm not claiming they were another Stooges either, but it's just SUCH a surprise to see them mentioned at all.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 2:33 am

Yup Nadja ! Great minds think alike, heheheh.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 11:57 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Yup Nadja ! Great minds think alike, heheheh.

Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 3:13 pm

So this is what happens when the Raw Power (Bowie + Iggy mix) votes 'r counted together Very Happy

No. - ALBUMS ------------- NO.1 - NO.2 - NO.3 - NO.4 - NO.5 ----------------> votes

1. Raw Power ------------- 6 ----- 2 ------ 4 ------ 5 ------ 1 ------------------> 18
2. Funhouse --------------- 8 ------ 2 ------ 0 ----- 2 ------ 1 -------------------> 13
3. The Stooges ------------ 2 ------ 7 ------ 4 ----- 2 ------ 1 -------------------> 16
4. Metallic KO ---------------0 ----- 1 ------ 1 ------ 5 ----- 2 --------------------> 9
5.The Weirdness ----------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 2 ------ 0 ----- 4 --------------------> 6

Heavy Liquid --------------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 1 ------- 2 ----- 0 -----------------> 3
Studio Sessions ------------ 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ----- 3 -----------------> 3
Funhouse Sessions -------- 1 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 2
Live '71 & Rarities --------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 2 -------------------> 2
California Bleeding --------- 0 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 1
Per's '71/'72 PRe-RP alb. - 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 ------------------> 1
Telluric Chaos ------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------- 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Metallic KO2 --------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------- 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Per's '73/'74 post RP alb. - 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Penetration ---------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Year of the Iguana -------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------------------> 1

Last edited by ZinZin on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 3:24 pm

Cool ! It's nice this way.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 6:25 pm

wow, so funhouse is number one, of course but raw power got the most votes! werid, didnt think that would happen, literally thoguht it would be funhouse/stooges/rawpower etc

good to hear

also, nice avatar JLTS when was it taken? can u post it larger?
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 8:16 pm

1. Raw Power ( honestly, any mix Smile )
2. Funhouse
3. Metallic K.O.
4. Heavy Liquid
5. album of the same name Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 9:51 pm

That's a pretty surprising result(!)
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 10:03 pm

I love it to but...

HOW CAN "THE WEIRDNESS" BEAT THE UNRELEASED 72/73 STUFF?!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 10:22 pm

well I guess now most people will be satisfied! Smile
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:15 am

Sorry, homesick.. that's as big as the avatar is Sad

I believe its from 1970
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:26 am

thats ok, where'd u get it?

looks more like 68? ig's hair n all
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:13 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:

I kinda doubt there are any pics at all from 1968.
(please feel free to prove me wrong!!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 8:18 am

It might be late 69... I just changed it Smile I like this one alot !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Till now 17 hardcore Stooges fans posted their lists!

with the vote of JamesWilliamson82 Raw Power is getting even more steady on it's nr. 1 position...
not only in first choice but also in number of votes...which is remarkable indeed.

no. - Albums ------------- NO.1 - NO.2 - NO.3 - NO.4 - NO.5 ----------------> votes

1. Raw Power -------------- 7 ----- 2 ------ 4 ------ 5 ------ 1 -------------------> 19
2. Funhouse --------------- 8 ------ 3 ------ 0 ----- 2 ------ 1 -------------------> 14
3. The Stooges ------------ 2 ------ 7 ------ 4 ----- 2 ------ 2 -------------------> 17
4. Metallic KO ------------- 0 ------ 1 ------ 2 ------ 5 ----- 2 --------------------> 10
5. The Weirdness --------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 2 ------ 0 ----- 4 ---------------------> 6

Heavy Liquid -------------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 1 ------- 3 ----- 0 -------------------> 4
Studio Sessions ----------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 3 -------------------> 3
Funhouse Sessions ------- 1 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 2
Live '71 & Rarities -------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 2 -------------------> 2
California Bleeding -------- 0 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 1
Per's '71/'72 PRe-RP alb. - 0 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 1
Telluric Chaos ------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------- 0 ------ 0 -------------------> 1
Metallic KO2 --------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------- 0 ------ 0 -------------------> 1
Per's '73/'74 post RP alb. - 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 -------------------> 1
Penetration ---------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 -------------------> 1
Year of the Iguana -------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 -------------------> 1

Think it's time for The Stooges to complete their setlist for future gigs Twisted Evil
I would suggest to include Penetration, I Need Somebody, Gimme Danger and Shake Appeal.

Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:29 pm

I Need Somebody would be excellent.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm pretty annoyed they're even playing "Search And Destroy" to be honest. I can understand "I Got A Right" as Ron played that live in 1971 but he never played guitar on "Search And Destroy", I'd hate for them to be reduced to an Iggy backing band
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 4:19 pm

sorry to say..but yr out of yr mind saying that GFE!!!

btw Stooges should also include Johanna and Gimme Some Skin of coarse..
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote:

I kinda doubt there are any pics at all from 1968.
(please feel free to prove me wrong!!)

actualy i think i have one, it could be 69 im not sure, ill hunt around for it!

also, i think its a good thing theyre playin search, more for a selfish reason in that i desperately wanted to hear a awr power song live by the stooges u'no

but i get what ur saying i dont want them to be a back ing band playin lust for life!! lol

altho i think they did it to spice up the setlist cos it was gettin stale, they dont have much to work with and they dont play weirdness stuff cos ppl dont know it, i think search adn i got a right jazzed up the set list adn tour and reviews even (as if they need it!) but i think it might only be temporary until the next album's material, which is hopefully well not 'more commericial' but more suited to them as a live band so they feel comfortable playn it for ppl
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:12 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
I'm pretty annoyed they're even playing "Search And Destroy" to be honest. I can understand "I Got A Right" as Ron played that live in 1971 but he never played guitar on "Search And Destroy", I'd hate for them to be reduced to an Iggy backing band

yeh, I still don't understand why Ron finally agreed to play 'Search'. Just because they felt they needed more songs I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STOOGES Albums TOP 5
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next